We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

Long branch, NJ
Level Contributor
75 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

My sister lives in Italy and has commented that I would be disappointed planning to visit the area this June. She claims that they have not recovered from the mudslides and recently were hit with more destruction. Anyone travel there recently? Need to get an idea of what is really going on in that area.;

Vernazza, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

Hello Taj4

Can you coming in CT everything working.Can you look also at

Save Vernazza.

Enjoy your stay in Vernazza

marylena

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

Most of the damage was repaired by Easter this year. Unless some new disaster occurs, by June next year you would not know there had been any mudslides.

United States
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

There has been some severe weather reported in Italy lately. Reports say that more damage has been reported in the Cinque Terre region. It's curious that Marylena says everything is okay. Maybe we'll hear from other residents.

usatoday.com/story/…

The Save Vernazza site hasn't been updated in a while and neither has the Rebuild Monterosso site.

TAB

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

I believe the coastal trail Via dell'Amore is still closed after a landslip injured some Australian tourists in September.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

These are hard working people and it didn't take them long to get more or less back to normal, the Via dell'Amore is closed at the moment but will probably be open by the time your trip comes round in June.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

The main problem area in this region has been the Lunigiana with The River Magra close to bursting its banks near Aulla last week

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

I may just be repeating what others have said already, but here goes...

I arrived there on the 24th Sept, the day they suffered a landslide on the Via Dell'Amore and some tourists were injured.

At that point, they closed off all the coastal trails between the villages.

I am confused a little by your question, do you mean that you are going NEXT June ( 2013 )?

And are you planning to hike between the villages, or just visiting the villages themselves? If you are planning to hike, and they say it is open, be careful to find out which trails are open, as it may not be all of them, and may not be the easier ones! ( I know that the easy trail between Manarola and Corniglia has been closed for quite a while now! )

As for the villages themselves, I cannot see how you would be disappointed. Only Vernazza really still shows signs of the damage caused by the floods of 2011, but still nowhere near enough to spoil your enjoyment of the place. The way these people have recovered so well is beyond belief. So whether you are going next week or next June, the chances are you'll find a minimum of disruption.

bedford
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

We were staying in Tavernelle about 30 minutes from Cinque Terre end of October beginning of November and visited 3 of the villages and the people have done an amazing job Vernazza was my favourite town...There was allot of rain during that week and some lovely sunshine too...but allot of the trails were closed due to sodden ground... June would be much drier and I expect that the trails would be open ...its an amazing area...we also loved Portovenure...just down the coast!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

We were there in late August 2012 and went with Walkabout Tours. You have nothing to worry about, everything was just fine and intact. Cinque Terre is all about stunning views and ancient history that should not be missed!

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cinqueterre..has it recovered?

As a resident, let me tell you all that the recent rains have not affected us here in Monterosso. I don't know where everyone is getting this from - in fact, local volunteers from the village have been going and helping other towns in Tuscany and parts of Italy that were affected with the recent flooding and rainfall, as we obviously know what they are going through, but, fortunately, it hasn't affected us at all.

We here in Monterosso had a thankfully busy and by all accounts normal summer season, and Vernazza, though a bit later, was back to business a few weeks after.