We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which C T village has least steps down from station.

With one knee replaced and other unhappy, lots of steps is difficult. Think we might just do a daytrip from Genoa by train to CT. Need to know which village would allow us a small experience of CT without totally ruining my knees for the rest of holiday.

We might then catch a ferry back to Genoa

SO which CT village has least steep steps down from station?

Thanks to TA users in advance!

Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$112.80*
Cinque Terre Tour from Florence
694 reviews
from US$112.80*
Cinque Terre Day Trip from Florence
48 reviews
from US$119.10*
Special Offer
Cinque Terre Semi-Private Day Trip...
1,021 reviews
from US$174.20*
US$211.80
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Apart from Corniglia (which is several hundred steps up from the station), my recollection is that all the villages are much the same, with one fairly long flight of stairs from the platform down to the street.

However, so far as I know, there is no ferry between the CT and Genoa. The distance is coming on for 100 km.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,280 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Golfo Paradiso runs ferry service between Genova and the Cinque Terre.

http://www.golfoparadiso.it/public/index.htm

Vagabonda

United States
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Vernazza had an elevator from the train platform to the main street but it was damaged in the Oct 25th flood (2011). It still was not working in May when I was there but it may have been restored later or be ready for service next year. You'd have to ask again closer to the time of your visit. After walking downhill through the village, you could then take the ferry from the harbor. Getting off in Manarola or Riomaggiore would involve steps but Monterosso would be without steps into town from the harbor. You could walk around until the next ferry to Genova arrives.

Be aware that you have to literally "walk the plank"" to get on the ferry. It can be a little bouncy.

TAB

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,637 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

The Golfo Paradiso services from Genoa to the Cinque Terre (click Linee then Rosso or Azurro on the website given in reply 2) are more usually sold as day-trips rather than ferries.

They do sell a one-way fare, but if using this it is better to go on the outward journey and return by train, as return boat times from the Cinque Terre are not publicised and could be changeable according to circumstances.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Interesting. In three visits to Vernazza, we never noticed the station elevator.

The Golfo Paradiso services are so infrequent that they are hardly worthwhile, and the return trip from CT to Genoa does not have any advertised times.

NY
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Yes, the elevator in Vernazza is there, but I never had the courage to use it - wondered where the repair people would come from to get us out if it got stuck, even though the steps are steep, but now hear it has been out of service

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,844 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Why wouldn't they have people to repair the elevator?

Anyway - I'd take the ferries from village to village if you really want to avoid the steps - arriving via sea is a beautiful approach to the villages. I'd too go to Vernazza and Monterosso; you can disembark from the ferry and be right at the harbor and then decide how much or how little you wish to walk up into the villages.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Many thanks for all these terrific answers fellow travellers.

United States
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Monterosso and Vernazza have a long set of steps from the platforms to the street. Monterosso also has steps up/down to change platforms. Vernazza's tracks share the same platform. The tracks at Manarola and Riomaggiore are level with the main street but you have to go down/up steps to go under the tracks to get to the main street. There are tunnels to go through or you can walk uphill and around. Manarola also has an elevated piazza in the center of the village after you come out of the tunnel. There is a ramped walkway around it which is used by the fishermen to bring their boats home.

TAB

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which C T village has least steps down from station.

Vernazza and Monteroso would be the easiest to navigate as there's only one set of steps down from the station. Maranola and Riomaggiore hav a subway with two sets of steps to navigate. Forget Corniglia: it's a seemingly endless switchback to get from the station to the town.

There is a lift at Vernazza (to the left as you come up the steps) that seemed to be operational last September, but station personnel had to unlock it for use. We never saw it used so perhaps it wasn't operational as others here suggest. From my hazy recollections I believe the steps at Vernazza were a bit shorter than Monterosso.