We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

Looking at this trip for Fall2013.

Any thoughts or insight on this tour company?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

I don't think you will get a lot of responses on this forum about specific tours, most are DYIs.

Rick Steves website has feedback from previous tour participants

…ricksteves.com/evaluation/…

also found this blog from a couple who went in 2010, lots of nice photos too.

…ricksteves.com/evaluation/…

I like Rick Steves books and for a tour company I think they have decent reputation.

Wakefield, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

Hi,

We've taken one tour with Rick (Paris) and will definitely take another Rick Steves tour. You have to buy into the Rick Steves Europe Through the Back Door Philosophy, the foundation of the type of tour he sells. Stay in authentic boutique (usually small) hotels near all the sites you want to see. Small groups of different ages, flexible people, well educated, (not necessarily well-off, I might add). The guides were amazing!

We've done independent travel, & larger group tours and I vote Rick. When doing independent travel, I rely on Rick's maps, hotel descriptions, tips on sites and more, Good luck and happy travels.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

We used his books while visiting each city and they were wonderful, we mapped our own trip and saw Rome, Florence, Siena, Cinque Terre and Venice in fourteen days

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

We used his books while visiting each city and they were wonderful, we mapped our own trip and saw Rome, Florence, Siena, Cinque Terre and Venice in fourteen days

New Jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

I took this tour a couple of years ago. Someone mentioned Rick Steve's travel philosophy and you need to read about it and agree with it.

I really enjoyed this tour. The hotels are small and usually family run . They're always clean and comfortable and serve a good breakfast. They are located in the center of historical districts. There's plenty of free time to explore on your own, with guidance from the tour guide. The guides are really the best part. I've been on 5 or 6 RS tours and they're always knowledgable and informative. Some of the experiences with the group are great- things you can't do on your own, for example wine tasting with foods of the region.

I would recommend this tour, but be sure you don't mind carrying your own suitcase.

6. Re: Anyone take Rick Steves trip Rome -Volterra -Lucca-Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:16