We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking boots or good trainers ok?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
walking boots or good trainers ok?

Just in the early stages of trying to plan a trip here for some walking. We've 4 nights with 1 in Pisa at the end. We won't have a car, just plan on using the train. We're basing ourselves in one place so we don't have to carry our luggage each day and plan on doing a range of walks from the coastal ones to the higher level ones - dependant on what trails are open.also want to see each town. Levanto (I realise this isn't in the actual NP) is looking best for accom that suits us so far and we can always train/boat it to the beginning of where we want to walk. Are we ok with trainers with good sturdy soles or are walking boots preferable. We walk in the lake district in the uk and always have boots if on the higher fells. Thanks for any info it'd be good if we can do hand luggage only on the plane!

United States
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

You might want to look at the park pages with descriptions and maps of the various trails to help you decide what footwear to bring. I would think the expert level trails would require proper boots.

parks.it/parco.nazionale.cinque.terre/Eiti.p…

TAB

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

It is certainly advisable to have good ankle support if you intend to do the higher level trails, which are very variable. Good trainers are adequate for the coastal level paths which are mainly loads of steps. Go for some light weight walking boots.

Seattle
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

My question is related to mrspink's. When we go on steep, long hikes (in the Cascade mountain range in the US), I take hiking poles. While I would not need these on the easier hikes, I might wanr them on the "expert" level hikes (listed in the link that TABarrett posted). I would rather not pack them; are there any places to rent hiking poles for a day or a few days? Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

I know you can buy hiking poles on the spot, see http://www.cinqueterretrekking.com/gearshop - maybe they know about renting.

They must be available somewhere as the organisations that do guided walks offer them, e.g. visitsitaly.com/tours/…cinque_terre.htm (see under map, "WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE CINQUE TERRE WALKING TOUR" ... Inclusions - Water bottles to keep & walking poles to use during hikes; ..."

Seattle
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

Many thanks for your response, qaminari. I will contact the shop and look for others that might also be possibilities. You gave me a great place to start!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

I do not really think walking poles are of any real use on the CT Trails. The main coastal trails are many, hundreds of relatively high stone steps. Although I saw a lot of walkers with poles in my view they were a complete overkill! If you are doing the higher trails which in some parts I see are claimed to be rather rough they might be of some use but I have my doubts. However good walking gear for that area is certainly to be recommended.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,142 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

Hiking poles are probably an overkill, but I would definitely recommend light walking boots (with ankle support), especially now that the easier (coastal) trails are almost all closed.

Seattle
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

Thanks for the advice, Love2roam and FF. I would never use poles on easier trails, only on steep/ long routes. In some situations they help protect from re-injuring my ankle and knee. (Worse than looking like a fool with poles would be having an injured ankle during my trip!) I did find out that the shop qaminari mentioned does rent poles for 5 EUR/ day, so that can be an option if I find I would like them.

australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

We have walked many times on Cinque Terre and elsewhere in Italy and have always found walking poles very useful on stairs, forest paths and stone paved sections, but agree that carrying them as part of luggage can be a pain. We have always had to carry them by air from Australia in a separate hockey stick bag. This caused some delays when collecting luggage at airports because it always turned up after everything else in a "special" luggage trolley. It also attracted some apprehensive stares on trains (I guess it looked like a weapon!) The poles are most useful for balance and avoiding sore knees. We have just purchased very light (but strong) poles that break down easily into a size small enough to take up almost no room in a carry on size suitcase. So don't worry about overkill - be comfortable and enjoy the walks!

10. Re: walking boots or good trainers ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 07:15