We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

I want to travel by train from Venice to Rome, visiting Florence and Cinque Terre en route.

I've booked 3 nights stay in Venice and two nights in La Spezia (for Cinque Terre).

I've had a look at Trenitalia and see that I can get to La Spezia either via Milan or via Florence. Can anyone advise re the best way to go and/or leave La Spezia? Times and distances on each route look similar.

Also, do I need to pre-book these Intercity trains? Some say yes, others say just buy at the railway station before you board?

Thanks for your rail travel tips.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

In general, it is best to go to Monterosso via Milan, with just one change of train and using trains with reserved seats all the way.

To the other four villages, it is usually best to go via Florence, with a change there and also at either Pisa or la Spezia or both.

http://www.trenitalia.com/ will tell you the change stations for each departure time from Venezia S. Lucia to any particular Cinque Terre village - the service is different to each village. Click the British flag at the top for English and use a date before June 9.

InterCity trains run between Milan and Monterosso, Frecciabiancas between Venice and Milan and Frecciargentos between Venice and Florence, and all these trains have reserved seats, and advance booking can save money. Most connections between Florence and the Cinque Terre use Regional trains without reserved seats and with no advance savings, though some use Frecciabianca or Intercity trains on the Pisa-la Spezia leg.

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

Thanks Perilizia for all that fantasic info.

I have booked my first night in La Spezia and plan to catch a train to one of the villages the following day. I may catch the return ferry from Monterosso to Portovenere, get off at Riomaggiore and walk before catching a train back to La Spezia.

I'm still a bit confused though. Do trains from Venice-Milan automatically go to Monterosso first? Is this the best way to get to La Spezia?

Sorry if I seem a bit slow.

3. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 15:46
4. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 15:46
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,939 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

The train line through the Cinque Terre is part of the main line from Genoa to Pisa and Rome. Trains from Milan go through Monterosso (and the other 4 villages) before they get to La Spezia.

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

thanks AMLOVER... what a useful link

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

Sydney nick that clarifies things for me. Thankyou

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

We are planning to travel to Venice, and end in Rome. We have 5 nights in between, and wish to

visit Florence and Cinque Terre. Is it most efficient to go to Florence first? or Cinque Terre first? then

Rome?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

it's not so much efficiency, but more how you want to spread your travelling time. For a long journey first (around six hours) then a shorter one (from 2.5 hours) next, and a short 95 minutes journey last, go to the Cinque Terre first. For two hours, then from 2.5 hours, then around 4.5 hours, go to Florence first.

Another criterion to bear in mind is backtracking. If you go to the Cinque Terre first, many connections particularly to villages other than Monterosso, pass through Florence on the way. Only using connections via Milan will you not backtrack (there are also a few connections via Parma with minimal backtracking).

Precise journey times to and from the Cinque Terre vary considerably and depend on departure time, route, and your precise destination village. See www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag for English, using Italian station names, e.g. Venezia S. Lucia, Firenze S. M. Novella and Roma Termini, and your 'hour' of departure e.g. '9' for 09.00.

10. Re: Best train route from Venice to Rome via Cinque Terre?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:19