We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cinque terre to naples

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cinque terre to naples

Any suggestions on best way to travel from cinque terre to naples?

I was considering going to Cinque Terre for a day then traveling by train or bus, at night, to naples.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cinque terre to naples

There is no bus. There is a night train leaving La Spezia at 23.03 and arriving at Salerno at 05.56. From there, a Frecce leaves at 06.12, arriving Naples Central at 06.48. It is not a way I would choose to spend a night.

See www.trenitalia.com looking for trains from La Spezia Centrale to Napoli Centrale.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cinque terre to naples

There is also a direct train from Monterosso at 531 am that gets you to Napoli centrale at 1224pm

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cinque terre to naples

Thank you - Perhaps I need to re consider this portion of my trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,454 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cinque terre to naples

Yes - probably a good idea unless the plan is to go to the Naples for more than just a few days. How long do you plan on spending in the Naples area? Where are you traveling from to reach Cinque Terre for the day?

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cinque terre to naples

Traveling from Florence to Cinque Terre then on to Positano for 5 days. It is my understanding that one goes to Naples because there is not direct transportation to Positano.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,454 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cinque terre to naples

If going to Positano, I would suggest not going to CT - they are both in beautiful seaside areas and the extra many hours of travel just going to CT and then all the way from there to Positano seems to really be a waste of precious time.

Depending on when you are going, you could take the train from Florence to Salerno from which you could then get a ferry over to Positano to avoid the crowded buses and extra public transportation (a second local train from Naples to Sorrento which takes an hour or so to then get the bus from Sorrento to Positano.

Arriving via the ferry in Positano from Salerno would be a more comfortable mode of travel.

There is also the possibility of hiring a car service if you do go to Naples instead which could pick you up at the Naples train station and drop you at your lodging in Positano but that is more pricey - likely around 120 euros or so for the car.

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cinque terre to naples

Good point - I would be leaving Florence on Monday, 1 Jul 2013. Looks like I have more homework to do - taking the train from Florence to Sorrento then a ferry to Positano sounds a reasonable plan. Do you know how long the train ride is from Florence to Sorrento? I need to check the train schedules....thank you for help - much appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,454 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cinque terre to naples

No, I said train to Salerno, not Sorrento, then get the ferry.

You can check train schedules at www.trenitalia.com - But, they won't have the schedules up yet for your dates - new schedules will be loaded for after June 8 or 9 in a few months.

when looking at that site put in these station names: Firenze S.M. Novella to Salerno; some will have a station change, others won't and it will take about 3.75 hours. You can look at the schedules for a date in the next few weeks to get an idea of the schedule - it is unlikely that the schedules will change much when they load the schedules for dates after June 8 (or 9).

There is no direct train to Sorrento; you would have to go to Naples first then take a local train which takes about one hour to Sorrento - but I still think the Salerno option is the most comfortable with the least amount of changes for different public transportation.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 02:03
9. Re: cinque terre to naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre