We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Hiking and Ferry b/c some Paths Closed?

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Combining Hiking and Ferry b/c some Paths Closed?

My husband and I will be in Italy from May 20 to June 2. We want to do a day trip to the Cinque Terre. We will drive to Levanto since we are coming from Lombardy and I think we have the best chance of parking here, plus there is a hiking trail that connects to the Cinque Terre. I have been looking around and am not exactly sure how to find out which trails will be open while we are there. Please let me know of any trail opening and closing dates that you may know of, or any website links you can share (in English, please!).

Our proposed Cinque Terre itinerary is as follows:

Hike Levanto - Monterosso

Hike Monterosso - Vernazza (if open)

Boat Vernazza - Riomaggiore

Hike Riomaggiore - Portovenere (if open)

Boat Portovere - Levanto

Thanks very much!

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining Hiking and Ferry b/c some Paths Closed?

The park website is the best one but sometimes there is a closure which doesn't get updated quickly. Check with any park office on the day to see what is open.

parconazionale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp

Ferry schedule:

www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/orario.asp…

TAB

Edited: 10 May 2013, 20:41
New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining Hiking and Ferry b/c some Paths Closed?

Thank you. Since I've posted this topic I've researched a lot and figured out what I think I'm going to do...

Ferry from Levanto to Manarola

45 min in Manarola

Ferry from Manarola to Vernazzo

Lunch and exploring in Vernazzo

Hike from Vernazzo to Monterossa to Levanto

It was hard to figure out with the ferry schedule and open coast line hiking trails but I think I figured it out, and don't have to worry about catching a boat or train back, just a nice long hike.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining Hiking and Ferry b/c some Paths Closed?

I agree with the very limited ferries from Levanto to the CT villages it would certainly be best to do ferry trip first and just walk back from Monterosso to Levanto.

The only suggestion I would make is I would take the train back from Manarola to Vernazza. The train only takes a few minutes compared to much longer and expensive using the ferry. You will have quite a serious walk back from Vernaza to Monterosso and then on to Levanto so you will want as much time as you have available for that section. Best of luck, hope all goes well and would love to be able to do it myself !

Edited: 11 May 2013, 07:33
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining Hiking and Ferry b/c some Paths Closed?

Yes, just keep in mind the hike from Vernazza-Monterosso is 1.5-2 hours, and then Monterosso-Levanto a solid 2.5 and can be even longer...once you get up to the top of San'Antonio you've done the hardest part of the Monterosso-Levanto hike, but the remaining part to get into Levanto can take you another 2 hours.

5. Re: Combining Hiking and Ferry b/c some Paths Closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 06:17