We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vernazza in September

pa
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vernazza in September

Hi, planning on staying in Vernazza for 2 nights end of Sept.3013. How long will it take to get there from Florence? Does a train leave from Florence to La Spezia? I read that it takes 3 hours. Can you still hike most of the trials from Vernazza, I know they had a very bad Mudslide in CT.

Also, will it be a problem w/luggage on the train I don't know what they allow if someone has any advice on that.

Monterosso Al Mare
Level Contributor
184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vernazza in September

Ciao, you have to change train in Pisa and in la spezia. In two hours and half you'll be in Vernazza. Yes you'll can hike most of the trails. There are not problems with luggage on the train.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vernazza in September

I'm going from Florence - Monterosso soon.

I bought my intercity train tickets from Pisa - Monterosso in advance (and got a great deal). I encourage you do the same if your dates are set. You take a regional train from Florence - Pisa, and you can just get those tickets once you are in Florence.

Take only luggage that you can handle yourself on the trian. There will be no one to help you with huge bags. Part of the reason I only travel with a 20" roller bag and a messenger bag :-)

Smaller bags will fit up top above your seat. Larger bags you may squeeze behind seats and/or spaces at the end of the cars.

pa
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vernazza in September

Thank you for the info. Very helpful.. One more question? I was going to fly into Rome and out of Rome because I plan I spending 3 days there and 4 days in Florence. My question is there a Major airport closer to Florence that I could fly out of or into and would be easier going to CT. Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vernazza in September

InterCity trains do not call at Vernazza.

While there are some connections which use InterCity or Frecciabianca trains between Pisa and la Spezia which can be booked in advance, these usually save little if any time over the connections entirely by Regional trains on which there are no reserved seats. The cheapest and most flexible solution is a Regional ticket from Firenze S. M. Novella to Vernazza bought in Italy - these tickets are OK for two months, and for six hours after validation (time/date-stamping) before boarding.

Train times for this journey are not yet online for dates past June 8. Use a date this week to see the current service and all fares on www.trenitalia.it - click the British flag at the top first for English, then enter Firenze S. M. Novella to Vernazza.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vernazza in September

Pisa and Genoa airports are equidistant from the Cinque Terre and are nearer to them than Florence airport.

But if you are going to Vernazza from Rome, you should not fly to any Regional airport. Simply take a direct train from Rome (Rome Termini) to La Spezia Centrale. This will be faster, easier and cheaper.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 22:43
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vernazza in September

Typo - should read 'Roma Termini'

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vernazza in September

Depends where your onward flight destination is after Florence/5 Terre ? If it is back direct to the states then you may have to use Rome or Milan however Pisa for instance you can fly BA TO LHR and then on to most american cities at Genoa BA only fly to Gatwick so it would involve a transfer. Similarily there are Air France flights from Pisa to CDG with onward connections and Luthansa to Munich. There is also Delta direct from Pisa to JFK in the summer

8. Re: Vernazza in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:18