We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train journey from Milan - Central Station

A L
London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Train journey from Milan - Central Station

Hi ,

I am a single traveller and planning a trip to Cinque Terre end September. I will be spending a night in Milan before heading to Manarola for 3 nights before heading to Pisa.

I would like to know what is the quickest mode of train travel from Milan and to Pisa. It would be good to advise the expected journey duration that I should factor to my schedule.

Thank you.

A

Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

The best way to reach Cinque Terre from Milan and Pisa from Manarola is the train.

You may find the best opportunities using www.trenitalia.com

Milan to Manarola journey takes 3-4 hours depending on the different trains, Manarola to Pisa 90-120 minutes.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

www.trenitalia.com , click on the British flag in the upper right corner. Use Milano Centrale, in Italian, as departure station and Manarola. Remember to select the hour.

There are a few direct intercity trains from Milan that stop in Monterosso, but if you 're going somewhere else in the Cinque Terre the system will tell you where you have to change.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
1,256 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

definitely by train on www.trenitalia.it

A L
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

Thank you for sharing your inputs on the train website and journey. Never knew the train journey will be that long.. for the distance on the map looks short journey.

I hope the train journey pays off.

One question.. shall I purchase the train tickets now?

I welcome any recommendations of restaurant or bistro I should try at Cinque Terre. Thank you very much.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

If you buy the tickets now you could save some money. As you're going end of September I can't see any other reason to do it.

It's 240 kms, by car, between Milan and Manarola. If you take an Intercity or a Frecciabianca train to Genoa and then a Regionale to Manarola it takes 3 hours a 30 minutes, more or less.

I hope you are not going to make all the travel to Genoa (or Monterosso) via Regionale trains. Those are the slow, local trains that stop in almost every single hut along the way.

Climbing the Appenines (the brown area on the map that make the travel a little longer... :) ) Regionale trains are so slow that sometimes I think I should get off and push.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 14:41
Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

The long journey is due to the fact that Cinque Terre (from Milan around 250km) are not on the "Alta Velocità" (speed line) therefore it takes more then Milan-Rome (around 600 km less then 3 hours).

I would not go to Cinque Terre by car, it will be a SERIOUS problem to find a parkink.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 14:46
Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
1,256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

I agree with Francesco

Train is the best way even if sometimes links Are not that good

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

Links are fine to Monterosso, with eight direct trains a day from Milan taking around three hours, and with advance fares from only €9. That's an excellent train service for a village with a population of only 1,500 people.

As the other villages are even smaller, it's no surprise that you have to change trains to reach them (except on the 07.25 Regional train from Milan, which calls at all villages and is a reasonable option if not buying in advance).

A L
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

Thanks for your tips..

I have checked the train time tables. I have a question over the destinations... If I am to take train from Milano Centrale to Monterosso via IC mode (it is the shortest duration opposed to route of Milano to Rapallo) and then change train from Monterosso to Manarola ,.. it reads : The regional travel solution is not purchasable if the travel solution departure date is after 7 days from current date.

Could you explain the above phrase? Does it mean I can only purchase tickets on the day itself?

Thank you again.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
1,256 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train journey from Milan - Central Station

cos u cant buy regional trains tickets on line

they r quite cheap and u can only buy in the train station

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre