We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A short review after a few days in Monterosso

Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
A short review after a few days in Monterosso

We (three friends 40+) spent a few days in Cinque Terre in the end of June and here is a short review.

Transport and accomodation:

We chose to stay in Monterosso, which was the correct choice for us since we arrived from Milano. The train from Milano to Monterosso took about three hours. Monterosso is also the biggest village of the five and has the best service (restaurants and small shops) and is the only village with a beach. The boats between the villages is a perfect and easy way of transport. A day card costs 15 € and then you can hop between the villages as much as you like. It was lovely to sit on the deck enjoying the sun and the gorgeous views! Very easy access in very village, on/off takes a couple of minutes and the harbours/bridges are in the absolut center of the villages. The boats don´t stop in Corniglia since this village is situated very high up and doesn't have a shore or harbour. The first boat leaves at 10.30 from Monterosso and the last return was sometimes around 5 or 6 p.m. If you want to include Porto Venere the day card costs 25 €. There are also train stations in all of the villages and the train ticket costs a couple of euros. The distance between every village is only a few kilometers (totally 12 km from Monterosso in the north to Riomaggiore in the south) and takes a few minutes. Since all the buildings are small (and high), the hotels are also small, We chose a hotel (Stella Della Marina with 10 rooms) in the old town, which also felt like the correct choice. The hotel had a small restaurang, mainly for breakfast, on the roof.

Food and shoppning:

Cinque Terre is a paradise for sea food and pasta lovers! The food is fresh and delicious, the atmosphere cosy and prices reasonable. The restaurants are mostly small, some at the beach and some in the old town, some indoors and some outdoors. The ice cream is also great as well as the wine. If you like meat the alternatives are not many. There are small shops in the old town selling mainly locally produced goods. Also in the other villages there are similar restaurants and shops, but of course fewer. There are no shopping malls or bigger shops in Cinque Terre - they are not needed!

Weather and clothing:

During our three days we had sunshine always from the mornings. In the afternoons there were some clouds and in one evening we even had rain. One day we spent a few lovely hours in the beach. The temperature was around 22 C. In daytime a t-shirt and shorts are quite enough, but in the evening long sleeves felt good.

Because of a bad back I didn't use the trails between the villages, so I cannot comment much on them. The easiest one of them (Via Dell Amore, 30 minutes) between Riomaggiore and Manarola was however closed at this time. My friends walked from Monterosso to Vernazza (medium level, 4 km, 2 hours) and were absolutely amazed with the landscapes and views! I can strongly recommend a trip to Cinque Terre and want to go again!

Valletta,Malta
Level Contributor
242 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

Great Review indeed, thanks took some notes for our September trip.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

Our group of 5 women plan to travel to Cinque Terre in October. I hope it will not be too late in the season to see the wonderful places you described. Thank you.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

Thanks so much for your review. Nice to hear at everyone seemed to enjoy and the views were amazing. From threads where people are taking day trips it seems like they are not liking it as it was too commercialized etc. I am hoping it is just because they could not enjoy it.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
966 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

Thanks, very helpful

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

I've just found your post and it was so full of information that I will be needing. Thank you. We are going to stay in Monterosso for five nights in early September and am trying to get any information I can on the various town we will be staying. I wondered how far the train station was from the town centre? Once again thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

There are no towns in the Cinque Terre. They are five small villages, and in each (except Corniglia) the train station is pretty much right in the village. Corniglia is at the top of the cliffs, a long way above its train station.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

Thanks for that. I do realize that there are no towns in Cinque Terre. I probably wasn't very clear but meant to say I'm researching other various towns and cities that we will be staying in Italy. We are looking forward to our very first overseas trip and as you know being from Oz it's quite a distance so I've been doing lots of researching. Thanks for th comment.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

oh, thanks so much for info on the train station. I was a bit worried about lugging our suitcases a long way! Thank you.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

@canon, don't worry too much, as october has been the past few years quite warm and sunny still - the original poster here unfortunately came during one of the rainiest and chilly junes that we have had in recent memory. It's usually sunny, mid 20's and not rainy at all. But glad you enjoyed your trip here regardless, justmenowhere! Thanks for sharing :)

10. Re: A short review after a few days in Monterosso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32