We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Florence to Cinque-Terre -

J L
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Florence to Cinque-Terre -

Hello - I m spending one week in San Gimignano then 1 night in Florence, near the Rifredi train station then heading to Cinque Terre (Moneglia) for 1 week of hiking. What is the best option, train wise ? Should i leave from SMN or Rifredi or ? And is it really a better deal to buy the tickets online ahead of time (I m thinking www.italiarail.com )

thank you !

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Moneglia
Moneglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
NY
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Florence to Cinque-Terre -

You should be fine leaving from Rifredi - just double check the options on the trenitalia website as the station changes along the way can vary

No, do not use italiarail or buy ahead of time-just purchase your tickets at the station, you can use all regionale trains and they never sell out

J L
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Florence to Cinque-Terre -

Thank you very much ! I cannot wait to be there and visit Italy !

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,549 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Florence to Cinque-Terre -

For simplicity, pick an option with just the one change of train in la Spezia. There are no advance reductions on these journeys and on the other options entirely by Regional trains.

If you wish to buy a day or two before, Regional tickets bought in Italy are OK on any train for two months until validated (time/date-stamped) which you must do at Firenze Rifredi before boarding.

Moneglia isn't in the Cinque Terre - it's several stations north of them, but it's very convenient for them and has an excellent beach.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 16:38
Mentioned in this post
Moneglia
Moneglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Florence to Cinque-Terre -

Perilizia: I take it SydneyNick is on vacation! You gave his exact answer (or he's been using yours!)

5. Re: Train from Florence to Cinque-Terre -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 06:20