We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

We are planning on spending a few days in Cinque Terre and wanted to spend the night in Portofino. Is it a realistic thing to do? How long does it take to get there, and is it a hassle? We on our way to Switzerland from there. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Turin
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

Where are you staying? I.e. from Monterosso to Santa Margherita Ligure (nearest station to Portofino) direct trains take 50 minutes. Tomorrow Trenitalia lists 23 solutions to get there by train: some are direct, others require a change in Sestri Levante or Camogli. Monterosso has the best train connections in the 5 Terre area.

Nobody can tell if you're going to like Portofino or not. I went there at 6 AM (for an early dive) and loved the village. When posh, shining people arrived I escaped as fast as I could.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Margherita Ligure
Santa Margherita Ligure
Italian Riviera, Italy
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Sestri Levante
Sestri Levante
Italian Riviera, Italy
Camogli
Camogli
Italian Riviera, Italy
FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

Haha... we are neither posh nor shiny:) I do like to think we are nice and adventurous tho:) We are staying in Hotel Cà d'Andrean in Manarola. Is it possible to go by water?

Mentioned in this post
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

Should mention we are going to be there around the 13-14 of Oct. counting on it being a bit quieter by then.. perhaps I am wrong about that tho.

Turin
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

I think you're right, it should be less crowded.

I don't know if there are any ferries in october. Check this site:

www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/home.asp… (I can't do it for you as it doesn't work on iPad)..

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,515 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

There are no ferries from the Cinque Terre to Portofino in October. There are however still two boats from Rapallo at 10.00 and 14.00 calling at Santa Margherita Ligure fifteen minutes later. Otherwise take the bus from Santa Margherita or walk.

Mentioned in this post
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Rapallo
Rapallo
Italian Riviera, Italy
Santa Margherita Ligure
Santa Margherita Ligure
Italian Riviera, Italy
6. Re: getting to portofino from Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 06:39