We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trails

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trails

We were in Cinque Terre yesterday and only one trail open from Monterosso to Vernazza. A beautiful and tough section but a long way from Floence and back for a shot hike.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trails

This is not true. The only section of trail 2 open was from Monterosso to Vernazza, but as the number implies, there are another 25 hiking trails you can take in the region, many of which leave from Monterosso, that provide sweeping views and are also free.

When you arrive ask the green office in the train station for a hiking map. You will see different trails listed that are all marked by little signs with the number of the trail on it. Also, check the many links on this forum about hiking the other trails in the villages, specifically the one under "Top Questions" on the right.

Keep in mind that rain and bad weather can close the trails as well. It is very unsafe to hike them in the rain.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trails

HI Cheryl B. You took a wonderful and very special hike. I hope you took the time to enjoy Vernazza and Monterroso al Mare for the unique and wonderful places in the world they are. As was stated above, there are many other hikes that can be done in the Cinque Terre, but the CT is not only about hiking. It is about enjoying this wonderful bit of earth and the disappearing lifestyle that people live there. There are not too many places left where people live without fast food places, eat only seasonally, enjoy life without cars and highways, live well into their 80's and 90's. Cinque Terre is a "Blue Zone" which means it is a healthy place where people live long and happy lives.

Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trails

We just got back. We learned that closed really means not patrolled. Like the locals, we hiked all over the closed sections and it was fine. The First two legs from Monterrossa were closed but were the best. If you find you can handle that, then hike the incredible trail going the other way from Monterossa to Levante

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trails

I'm responding to this as well on this thread, though I already did on another because I think it is important that people understand that Val's information is not correct and dangerous.

If a trail is closed, DO NOT hike it. <Like the locals, we hiked all over the closed sections and it was fine>...I never, ever hike closed trails. It's a stupid idea that can cost you more then a ruined vacation.

Closed means it is undergoing work, and maybe work you can't see, like a recent rockslide above your head that is being stabilized. Tourists should absolutely not hike the 3 closed trails in the region, especially when there are over 25 trails SAFE and OPEN.

Boston...
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trails

do you know if the easy trail from Riomaggiore to Manarola will be open by September? My husband and I are planning to be in Cinque Terre then, and I know that is one trail that we could do.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trails

That trail is expected to re-open during 2014, but no date is available that I have heard. It depends on what the weather is like and if there is any further damage.

Boston...
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trails

thanks. if you find it has reopened would you send me a message to let me know.

8. Re: Trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:17