We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
15 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

We will be in Cinque Terre in early May, 2013. Are there trails that are closed now that will remain closed? what are the top hikes or walks? some have suggested we just go for a day and not stay, but think we'd be missing a lot if we did that.

Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$112.60*
Cinque Terre Tour from Florence
694 reviews
from US$112.60*
Cinque Terre Day Trip from Florence
48 reviews
from US$118.90*
Special Offer
Cinque Terre Semi-Private Day Trip...
1,021 reviews
from US$173.90*
US$211.50
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

This is the Parks site:

parconazionale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp…

Look to the right for Top Questions, one is - How much time should I spend in the Cinque Terre.

I would definitely stay more than 1 day.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

Yes, definitely poke around the top questions and the national park site.

Your question has been asked and answered many times before. The trails are subject to closure at any time depending on weather or ongoing maintenance, though they usually will do things like that during the slower winter season. Weather wise, if it is poor weather out, the trails will be closed regardless.

And I would spend at least 1.5-2 days here, especially if you are a hiker.

Rapallo, Italy
Level Contributor
158 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

If you like hiking, Riomaggiore-Portovenere is always open and it wil be a feast for the eyes.

Andy ( if you would like to have an idea of the trails, feel free to visit http://liguriah.wordpress.com )

Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

We just went to cinque terre off season which was great. We learned an important point which is for most of the off season the first two legs from Monterossa are closed. But more importantly we learned that closed does not mean anything. Like the locals we hiked all day on the closed parts and it was fine. Basically, closed does not mean dangerous conditions. It's just not patrolled. These were great tails. If you are okay on these two legs on the trail number two, then you can do the great hike from Monterossa to Levante

Val Wilson

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

<But more importantly we learned that closed does not mean anything. Basically, closed does not mean dangerous conditions. It's just not patrolled.>

This is very wrong, and can be dangerously so. If the trail is closed, do NOT hike it. They are closed for a reason.

Though the trail may have seemed ok to you, Val, there can be unstable rock work above that can cause dangerous landslides. You can arrive halfway and find the trail ripped up and you cannot pass. If you are a local, you've been hiking these trails since you were a kid, and more then likely know where they are doing work and where to avoid going, but for a tourist visiting here, it is a very stupid and dangerous idea to hike closed trails. It's not worth the risk, especially when the only ones closed are portions of trail 2 that are undergoing stabilization work, and there are over 25 other open and totally safe trails you could pick from.

I cannot stress this enough. If you fall, if something happens, you will need to be airlifted off the side of a mountain. That is not worth the risk to the people coming to rescue you, or to yourself.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

well said cm28...... there are some horror stretches i have seen over the years and it is not like there has been heavy equipment in to shore up the slips.

Val.....the advice to check is not to be taken lightly.

the one near corniglia was a doozy and it looked like the hill fell over.

i have always done the monterosso Levanto trail.....prefer from the Levanto end.....and i have never found it closed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

Val, I see you said that the first 2 legs from Monterosso are always closed in the off-season. Can anyone else confirm this? And which months are considered off-season?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

Closures are not made for the heck of it; if they close a trail, they have a very good reason for doing so. It is so scary - given what happened to those tourists last year when there was a rockslide - I really do hope people reading this disregard that statement by it not being important to follow those closure notices -

news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/four-aussi…

I'm not posting that to scare anyone but to remind people that when closures are made there (or anywhere) it is because there is good cause for doing so. And, if you just ignore it because you see others doing it or you are just prone to ignoring rules generally, you do take a risk - and you will be solely responsible if anything happens.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

<Val, I see you said that the first 2 legs from Monterosso are always closed in the off-season. Can anyone else confirm this? And which months are considered off-season?>

This is absolutely not true.

Off season is usually considered from mid-October-April. The trails are closed dependent on weather and trail work, (which yes, more then often does happen in the off season, but does not mean that the trails are closed for months on end). Trail 2 was actually open for a good portion this autumn, and has been open and closed alternating weeks as they continue to stabilize and clear portions of it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: early May hiking- trails closed and opened?

Thanks cm28.

I'm visiting Italy for 3 weeks in November/December, would people advise me to save Cinque Terre for another trip? I'm keen to book hotels in advance for the best prices, so I'd have to commit either way and would struggle to just decide last minute to make a trip in that direction.

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre