We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

Columbia, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

We are OK with some stairs. I have been to Riomaggiore, but I think the walk to the little harbor and back up might be too much for my date. We are just stopping for a few hours from Milan to Florence. I love the area and wanted to share...a little surprise stop for her.

So, we need a quick stop or two with a long lunch. Views and Vino, but light on the walking. Any ideas?

Any places to check luggage while we want. that might make is easier for my spunky wife. If I remember, there was a spot in Riomaggiore, but I need more information.

Rapallo, Italy
Level Contributor
158 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

On www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp… you can see the stations with luggage deposit. Apparently, La Spezia would be your best bet. As for a light walk, get off at Bonassola and try the 30 minute walk to Madonna della Punta (a.k.a. Punta della Madonna); it's very easy and I'm sure you'll enjoy the chapel on the sea.

Andy

( http://liguriah.wordpress.com )

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
597 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

Being in much the same situation as the OP, I think he's asking for a nice CT lunch spot with view that's a short walk from the train station, not for a walk as such. (If I'm wrong, pardon the interruption.)

United States
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

My suggestion for a village stop would be Vernazza. The stroll from the train station to the harbor is fairly gentle, the harbor area has several nice restaurants in the main piazza, and the view is lovely. There are steps from the station platform but you wouldn't have to go up and down to change platforms. The elevator from the platform to the ground level may have been repaired by now. You can ask in the ticket office or park office for access as it was for disabled access at one time and needed a key. I don't have current info on that as the last time I was there it was still out of service.

The luggage storage in Riomaggiore has been closed for some time. The nearest would be La Spezia unless Monterosso has opened something. There would be steps involved at that station between platforms.

TAB

Edited: 11 December 2013, 00:48
Columbia, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

andvid Thank you for the suggestion of Bonassola. Also the train baggage site was great. I think I gave my luggage to the ticket office in Riomaggiore one time for a half a day, but that we two-three years ago.

neuhoftraveler Thank you fro guessing some of my thoughts. We are somewhere between the short hop and a longer walk, depending on how she feels after the first ten days in Germany.

TABarrett The thought of Vernazza is good, too. A longish walk down that main street for her, but we can take it slow. I stopped for a little vino at a bodega near the harbor ob the left, last year. Too many good choices!

The darn steps in Riomaggiore would be tough, but there is that little restaurant on the right will a window table facing the harbor. Since lunch will be a main attraction, any ideas for a great restaurant would be appreciated, too.

Thank you all for your help.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

Monterosso, I'd say, would be your best bet. It's a flight of stairs down from the station then a flat walk along the seashore. Il Casello, Belvedere, La Cantina Di Miky, Ristorante Miky, and Barabba are all beach front (some, like Ristorante Miky and Belvedere) are better to reserve a table outside, and Il Moretto and Ciak have outdoor seating in the piazza, but not in front of the ocean. If you are coming for a great lunch, Miky is my choice.

TAB, In Vernazza a week ago the elevator was still not working.

United States
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

Thanks, cm28. I guess it's not on their priority list.

TAB

7. Re: Lots of stairs are a problem; any stops for older folks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:16