We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

Hi,

I am staying at Milan and planning to visit Cinque Terre for a day. I was thinking of taking the train from Milano Centrale to Monterosso? Is this the right way to reach Cinque Terre?

Also is it possible to visit all 5 villages in one day? How do I travel to the other villages once I reach Monterosso? Is there a route anyone could suggest to cover all villages in one day?

Also are all 5 villages worth visiting in January?

Thanks,

Reeba

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

In January, do not take the time to visit the Cinque Terre. The area is a seaside summer destination. In January, almost everything will be closed.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

Boh. If you are in Milan and happen to notice that the weather forecast is bright and sunny and beautiful here (like it was today) I'd say totally hop on a train. Yes, many restaurants and such are closed, but in my opinion, the "almost all interesting things" in the Cinque Terre are the sea, the scenery, the little villages - which you will have mostly to yourself on a January day. Today was totally gorgeous, a perfect day to do some hiking and exploring then take a nap on the beach in 15/16C weather...but I would definitely wait and see. If it's rainy, you will have a pretty miserable time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

What about February? Is it still fairly the same condition (lots closed/bad weather)??

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

Yes. We have a dry summer subtropical climate, which means we get most of our rainy days in the winter time. Granted, we get some great days here and there, like I said, but overall, it can be quite rainy until early May. The restaurants and hotels and such reopen with easter, which falls at the end of April this year, so most things will reopen by late March, early April.

Middleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

We will be visiting in mid-March (13th-14th) Both our daughters loved Cinque Terra and we really want to visit there so we are going regardless of weather. We have a B & B. Any recommendations for what might be open then?

Level Contributor
1,280 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

You will find most of hotels and restaurants closed but most of shops will be open to enjoy a slice of focaccia on the rocks of Vernazza or buying some souvenirs or having an icecream. Cinque Terre are amazing in every season, the seaside, the coloured houses, the narrow streets, the stairs... does it really matter if restaurants are closed?

I think winter is even better for Cinque Terre, less crowded and more intimate. Of course, if it's raining can be really awful but sunny days in winter in Cinque Terre are not so rare. I was there on the 29th December and weather was amazing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

Is everything still open in November/December if it's closed in January?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

No. Many places close completely through the winter, from November to mid-late March, depending on when Easter falls. There will be some restaurants open (more around Christmas) and many stay open until mid-November to get the last tourism of the season, then will close through Christmas. January and February you will have the least options for accommodation and restaurants open.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

Someone please weigh in on the 2nd part of the question re which villages are a "must see" or are some more so than others. Per Reid's Italy site he indicated that Monterosso would not be a great loss. Opinions?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are all 5 villages worth visiting in Cinque Terre?

They are 5 very, very small fishing villages that are 5 minutes from one to the other by train, and 10-15 by ferry (when it runs during the spring-fall). What's your definition of a "must see"? I love sitting on the beach, so I always recommend Monterosso. I also love avoiding crowds and quirky hidden angles, as well as incredible views, which makes Corniglia my other personal favorite. Vernazza is regarded as the most charming and typical. Manarola has the most picturesque harbor. Riomaggiore has the most dramatic houses leaning into the cliffs, in my opinion, and I think they have some cute bars - but again, each village is tiny with it's own charm. I think that they are all so tiny and close that I cannot really say one is so much better then the other...