We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre in first week of March - worth visiting?

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Cinque Terre in first week of March - worth visiting?

My wife and I are going to be in Florence in the first week of March this year. We REALLY want to go to Cinque Terre but was wondering if it is worth visiting for 2 days during that time of year.

Are any restaurants/hotels open?

If the weather is nice, is the trail more than likely open?

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre in first week of March - worth visiting?

There are always open trails in Cinque Terre. As for the season, a die hard hiker might find it enjoyable, but otherwise March doesn't provide what most people want from the CT. The plants will just barely be starting, there's a good chance of rain, there are no ferries, tourist services are at a low level.

2. Re: Cinque Terre in first week of March - worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 15:47
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre in first week of March - worth visiting?

There are definitely restaurants and bed and breakfasts open - keep in mind that "hotels" are not too common here, save for a few smaller ones in Monterosso. Though Easter is late this year, the majority of places will be open by mid-late March.

Weather can determine trail openings and closures, so there is no way to predict how they will be in March. March can be quite rainy, as Mike noted, so keep that in mind, but like Eva noted, you will be ducking tourist season and will have the villages mostly to yourselves. If you can wait and decide from Florence, looking at the weather, I would totally do that. If you have some sunny days forecasted, coming here is very much worth it and very easy from Florence. But if it's miserable weather here, you will be pretty miserable too.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre in first week of March - worth visiting?

Two days in CT is certainly worth the trouble, even if the weather keeps you off the trails. I went for a weekend in March 2012 (early train from Florence on Sat morning, back Sunday afternoon) and felt that I had a good look including the long walk over the hill from Vernazza to Monterosso and the climb up to Corniglia.

The Hotel Pasquale in Monterosso was lovely (http://www.hotelpasquale.it/en/hotel.php) and should definitely be open in March.

Just make sure you get the CT+Treno (Train) pass (see other posts for details) so that you can hop between villages on the train if the trails are closed or don't suit.

CT is one of my best memories in all the travelling that I have done and I think it was better for being in the quiet season. I had all of the trails to myself which enhanced the glorious vistas.

5. Re: Cinque Terre in first week of March - worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20