We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine and I are planning on coming to Italy on april (first time there). We are planning on going to Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Amalfi and Rome. We are starting in Venice and ending up in Rome. While working on details about it, I've started to wonder if it would be better to go to Florence or Cinque Terre first, after Venice. From there, we would be heading to Amalfi. Any suggestions on what to do first? We are planning on staying in Vernazza, and travel by train. Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

Trains Venice to Vernazza to Florence to Salerno or Naples to Rome www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times,

Amalfi coast buses www.sitasudtrasporti.it Click on Orari for Campania bus times

Amalfi coast seasonal ferries www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com www.capri.net

Trains Naples lower basement station to Sorrento and Pompeii Scavi www.eavcampania.it

Edited: 18 January 2014, 05:05
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,754 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

It make no difference. Going to Florence first will avoid the very long journey direct from Venice to the Cinque Terre, but it then makes the journey to Salerno for boats to Amalfi very much longer than from Florence.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 10:52
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

Traveling by train from Venice to Cinque Terre you basically have two routes. Via Florence, or via Milan.

Kind of answers your question for you, doesn't it. But once you leave Vernazza for the Amafi Coast, you also have to pass through Rome on the way. I'm guessing you fly out of Rome, but you might want to rethink this part of the trip too, and avoid any unnecessary back-tracking.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

Hi ---------- we've been there qutie a few times ........... so much to see/enjoy AND miss! ........... we're starting in Venice and ending in Sorrento/Amalfi and flying out of Rome instead of Naples this time ......... we try not to backtrack and waste time & $ ......... we've booked our air and rooms already ........ fine tuned them for best value etc. ........ next we'll search things to do/see in any of the NEW cities on our route and we'll have a guide to use when we get there .......... we think 3 days in Venice is good ...... we'll purchase a 3 day Vaporetto pass (water-bus) so we can visit Murano/Burano or take rides up and down the Grand Canal at night etc. .......... if u map it out you'll maximize your vacation ......... we'll be visiting bolzano/castelrotto for 3 days which are German towns within italy (Dolomite's/alps ) then down to Bologna for 1 night/Ravenna for2 to see the mosaics/ then San Marino (UP on a cliff-->see an aerial view on 'youtube") .......... it's the oldest Democratic country in the world (it's inside of Italy) about 24 sq. miles? 1 day ........... THEN we take the train to the CT again for 3 days ......... buy combination tickets for the train in the CT (we like Vernazza ...... but this trip we'll stay in Manarola) case you prefer not to walk back if your hiking the trails ........ then we're going to see Siena for3 days which we'll grab a bus or train to see outlying villages ......... then Rome for 2 days on a Friday & Saturday (best days for the crowds) certain streets are used by the crowds/locals to navigate the hot spots etc. ....... then we'll be in Sorrento for 3 days to unwind ......... u can train back to Pompei or Herculenium for a few Euro's or catch the bus down to Amalfi / Positano (sit on the right side going down for the sea view) ......... there's an elavator in the city center for a quick access to the beach/marina area if your taking a boat to the Isle of Capri ........ sooooooooo much to say ......... hope this gives you some ideas or help ......... we started years ago by taking a cruise in the Med ........ which is the cheapest way to cover more area and to see many countiries/cities .......... BUT ........ their only 1 day in each place and leave port before the lights go out and u miss the night-life .......... now we've gotten this down and know how to do it reasonably cheap....... only taking a carry-on and a small suitcase .......... Get a Rick Steve's Italy ha ndbook to help u out he has a site online with a bulletin board / helpline also ........... enjoy! ......... you'll ---> go back there! ....... puff puff ........ this wore me out LOL ......... Mike in NC ......... P.S. Florence sho uld be 3 days and we go in late May or September when its not to hot or chilly ......... Venice is more north and probably to chilly for night-time strolling my wife went last year with her cousin in early May and it was cold .......... even south in Sorrento they had a cold snap ........ not bad in the day but nightlife wasn't enjoyable ......... so pack 1 warm garment if u go early etc. .......

i

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

Thanks! I'll take a look into this. I think we will do Venice - Florence - Cinque Terre, and from there, Amalfi. Will probably split the nights we are staying in Rome, so after Cinque Terre, maybe stay 2 nights in Rome and then go to Amalfi and back to Rome for the last 3 nights, as we are flying out of Rome. Appreciate your comments

Edited: 19 January 2014, 04:46
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,754 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

Staying in Rome on the way from the Cinque Terre to the Amalfi coast is a good idea, as it will avoid having to make the extremely long journey from the CT to Salerno.

7. Re: CT before or after Florence (Coming from Venice)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18