We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train vs.bus tour

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
train vs.bus tour

im new to the cinque terre forum, . We are just starting our search for a possible travel in July.

We will be staying in Montecatini Terme and would like to do a day trip to Cinque Terre. I have been reading older posts, and would like some current info: Although I realize it is cheaper to take the train on our own vs a bus tour,it seems like waiting for connecting trains (both at la Spezia and from each of the 5 towns) might make the trip a longer one?

If someone could please advise that would be great.

ALso, does anyone know if the buses have air conditioning?

thanks in advance!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train vs.bus tour

Even using the coach tour it will still use the train between the CT villages from La Spezia. Going on your own by train altho probably taking longer you will not be tied to a pre-arranged tour led by a guide since with the coach tour you will have to keep together as a group. Whether or not the bus has air conditioning is a bit of a gamble, some do but it depends on how efficient it will be on the day.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 20:02
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train vs.bus tour

Another way of reaching Cinque Terre, train Montcatini to Viareggio www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times

Ferry Viareggio to Monterosso www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it Return on the Trenitalia train to Montecatini

www.incinqueterre.com

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train vs.bus tour

Buses can't access most of the CT villages, so a tour is always going to be by bus plus, to get between the villages, either train or (as in this case: http://www.comeandseeitaly.com/tours/319/speciality-tours/tours-from-montecatini-terme.php) boat.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train vs.bus tour

thanks for the replies everyone! I didnt realize that the tour buses didnt go into the villages.

the tour I was looking at was the come and see italy tour as qaminari suggested.

Do any of you know how much the ferry is? I looked on there website and couldnt figure the rates out.

Any other hints or suggestions on how best to do this 1 day trip would be much appreciated...thanks again

(qaminari...my husband was born in Belgium and we will be visiting his family there before going to Montecatini!!)

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train vs.bus tour

The tour buses usually park in La spezia outside the old cinema on Via Settembre xx about 150 yards from the station

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,916 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: train vs.bus tour

This year's ferry times and prices are not yet available from the ferry website.

You can download some of last year's from another source apathtolunch.com/2013/07/cinque-terre-lerici… including the day-trip boats from Viareggio which don't start until June

Edited: 06 February 2014, 23:08
7. Re: train vs.bus tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 18:35
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train vs.bus tour

thanks for the replies.. We have decided to do this tour on our own and not take the bus...just wondering if nuriopaths idea is the best way to see everything, and what opinions anyone has regarding if this is a long route and if it is expensive doing it this way.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,916 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: train vs.bus tour

According to information accessible through the link already provided to you in reply six, the price of a day-trip from Viareggio last year was €30. Here is a direct link https:/…

Direct trains from Montecatini to Viareggio take 50 minutes and cost €5.80 each way. Link to train times already provided in reply one.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train vs.bus tour

perlizia..I couldnt get access to the information that was provided to me which is why I was asking for more ideas and help in reply 8!!