We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Cinque Terre

Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in Cinque Terre

we are 4 adults (1 with minor knee issues and cannot walk too steep slopes) plan to spend 4 nights at Cinque Terre. We will be driving in from Alba and next stop is the Emilia-Romagna region. Grateful for guidance on the following please:

1) Would 4 nights be adequate ? We plan to train or bus between the 5 villages

2) Where should we base ourselves thought of either Levanto or Monterroso I guess car park availability is an important consideration as I understand we cannot drive between the villages and will have to leave our car at our base

Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

sorry forgot to mention that travel period is in September this year

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

With walking difficulties one day would probably be enough just to see some of the villages. Sugggest you stay in Levanto or Sestri Levante visting the CT villages by train. Car parking readily available in both but you really dont need a car in this area as most places are accessible by train.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 08:49
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

There are no buses to or between the villages.

We stayed in Levanto at Villa Margherita, a pleasant hotel with its own off-street car parking, with a bit of a walk down to the town centre or up to the train station. See http://www.villamargherita.net/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

In Levanto it was really quite an uphill to Villa M and also up to the station from there or from the town. One could drive to the station and park for the day if the knee is really bad. Remember that most of the stations on the 5T have steps to access the platform from the village, that most streets are steep up from the waterfront and that the towns are tiny with not much to do apart from wander, sit, eat and watch the view. 4 days might be a bit much.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

Fuor nights in Cinque terre could be a lot , you can move by train or by ferry , if you would like to explore something more , 4 or more days are ok. We stayed one week , 2 days we went to Cinque terre by ferry, one day in Portovenere, two days Lerici, Tellaro, and San Terenzo , one day Lucca , one day Sarzana, one day relax enjoying the pool and the view.

We stayed in Lerici , from there we visited cinque terre by ferry , it's a lovely 30 / 40 min. ride and you can stop in Portovenere first and than cinque terre. But Lerici was really lovely .

We stayed in a private villa http://www.villainlerici.it , a perfect base, with an amazing view over the Gulf of the poets, cozy and charming , no problem for parking car, and you can get to Lerici Downtown in ten minutes walk , or 5 minutes drive or bus .

Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Thought we might visit the villages by ferry one day and perhaps by train another day. Is that an option. Sorry if the question sounds obvious but as we are not young and can cope with changes thought we'd plan ahead

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

Think of the ferry as a way to see the villages from the sea. Very pretty. But as far as I can remember only at Vernazza can you disembark without having to walk up lots of steps immediately afterwards. Perhaps at Monterosso, I am not sure.

By train there are stairs to the villages in all places except I recall a long walkway in Riomaggiore.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

Monterosso is the easiest place to board the ferries, access direct from the harbour which is a flat walk, via the tunnel, from the train station. There is however a bit of a scramble getting on-board via a gang plank but assistance is there to help.

I suggest ,assuming that you are staying outside the CT villages, that you take the train to Monterosso, there is a flight of steps out of the station but the area round the station is flat along by the beach and through the tunnel to the harbour. Access to the old town is by a rather steep hill. When you get to the harbour buy an 'all day' pass on the next ferry to Portovenere, which will call at all the villages except Corniigilia and you wil be able to see what is envolved to getting access from the ferry on your return trip. Certainly Manarola and Riomaggiore involve a bit of a climb but as was given above Vernazza may be easier.

No problems at Portovenere it is like Monterosso having direct acccess to the harbour. The harbour area and the surrounding area is almost is completely flat with good selection of places for a lunchtime stop . On your return trip you can decide if you want to go all the way back to Monterosso or stop off at one of the other villages on the way. I think you will probably find that trip should enable you to see as much of the CT villages as you can without envolving much climbing of stairs.

Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

Thank you very much Love2roam_uk for the very helpful info. Any suggestion where we shd stay ? Should we stay outside the villages as we will have a rental car ? I was thinking levanto

Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights in Cinque Terre

Thank you very much Love2roam_uk for the very helpful info. Any suggestion where we shd stay ? Should we stay outside the villages as we will have a rental car ? I was thinking levanto

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre