We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cinque terre to venice via?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
cinque terre to venice via?

Hello my friend and I are traveling in May 2014 to Rome, Sorrento, Florence (with a day trip to Siena and Luca), then to Cinque Terre and then on to Venice. We think the latter train journey - CT to Venice- will take most of a day. Therefore we want to break the journey between cinque terre and venice and spend a day somewhere else. Can anyone suggest a nice place to stopover? I have been to Bologna before and am not keen to visit again. Thanks for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cinque terre to venice via?

The "standard" route is via Florence, going past Bologna on the way. The fast trains between Florence and Venice stop only at Bologna and Padova.

You could consider Parma, which is an interesting and charming town. There are direct trains from La Spezia to Parma, although from Parma to Venice you would have to change trains.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 07:06
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,917 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cinque terre to venice via?

The 'standard' route from Monterosso is via Milan, with just one change at Milano Centrale and in reserved seats all the way, rather than using Regional trains to reach Florence (or Parma and Bologna) which is required by the other two routes. Going via Milan can be also be a reasonable route from the other four villages.

Milano Centrale station has a left luggage office, as do Florence and Bologna stations. Unfortunately, Parma does not.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cinque terre to venice via?

I interpreted the question as asking where the OP might spend a night between CT and Venice.

4. Re: cinque terre to venice via?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20