We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Cinque Terre in May

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Parking at Cinque Terre in May

I will be driving to Cinque Terre on 19 May. Only staying for one night at Hotel Due Gemelli. Should I park the car at the hotel or drive?

Heard parking is difficult in the summer but even mid May?????

First day I plan to visit Manarola. (Drive or not, if not how to get there from the hotel?)

Second day planning to start early for a hike from Monterosso to Vernazza. Since I will be checking out of the hotel at the morning, I will have to take the car with me. Where should I park at Monterosso?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at Cinque Terre in May

The first day, the only sensible plan would be to drive to Manarola as early as you can and hope to get a parking spot.

On the second day, I think it would be easiest to drive to La Spezia, park in the parking station next to the train station, and use trains to get to Monterosso and from Vernazza. It would take the best part of an hour to drive from your hotel to monterosso.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 04:32
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at Cinque Terre in May

Driving and parking in Cinque Terre is not for the faint hearted. Roads are unbelievably steep and winding, mostly narrow, and often in poor condition. Apart from Monterosso there is very little parking to be found, and even there the 2 car parks can fill up quickly.

Even driving from village to village can be a time consuming ordeal because the roads between these villages are anything but direct.

Nick's suggestion makes good sense. But I'd go even further and leave the car at La Spezia for the both days you are in the area. Catch the train to Manarola, stopping off at Riomaggiore on the way. Then hop on the train again and take a look at Vernazza. All easy to do in a day, and train is only a few minutes trip between villages,

Second day park again at La Spezia and catch the train to Monterosso. Explore the old town a bit before setting off on your hike. Just be aware that the #2 trail between Monterosso and Vernazza is currently closed. In fact the entire trail from Monterosso to Riomaggiore has been closed for some time, with no indication of when any part(s) of it will re-open.

Use this site to see what the current status of the trails is:

parconazionale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at Cinque Terre in May

Actually, looking again at the hotel's location, on the first day it might be best to leave the car at your hotel and walk to Riomaggiore. It would not be all that far.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at Cinque Terre in May

another note: the coastal road that connects the villages has had some problems this winter, and the part connecting vernazza and monterosso is closed, meaning that if you are coming from that direction and want to arrive in Monterosso, you need to turn back around and go back towards La Spezia, then get on the highway from that direction back towards Monterosso. From any of the other villages, you cannot arrive at the end of the road.

5. Re: Parking at Cinque Terre in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:18