We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque terre

perth
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cinque terre

Going to Cinque Terre in July August. My husband and I are in our late fifties. Would love to know what part of Cinque Terre would suite us most re our ages and my fear of swing bridges and excessive height. We are both of slim build and relatively fit. Are going to be in the area for 3 days.

Patsyflower

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque terre

Hi Patsyflower!

Well, you don not have to worry at all about swing bridges, because there aren't any. As for excessive height, I don't see this having an impact on which part of the Cinque Terre would suit you best. For accommodations, you can choose any of the villages-maybe stay away from Corniglia, as it is set on top of a hill, so some places have sharp drops from terraces over the water. The other villages are all on the shore (Monterosso is the only one with a real beach), so heights aren't an issue.

Suffering as well from pretty bad vertigo, I would say to maybe avoid some of the coastal hiking trails, such as trail 2 between Monterosso and Vernazza, as stretches are quite narrow with some sheer drops, and it's usually very crowded - it's not my thing. I prefer the empty inland trails, and other less used coastal ones (like 6 or 10) because being less publicized, there are less hikers on them, and I have time to go slow if my fear of heights gets to me. I am able to hike them anyway, but some stretches I need to do at my own pace and I've been able to do all of them - and feel great when I finish!

Also I would avoid driving here! The first few times I was in a car here, the sheer drops and height as you swing around the narrow mountain roads down into the village really petrified me.

Hope this helps! Enjoy.

perth
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque terre

Thanks for the info. We plan to use the trains to Cinque Terre. Nice to have a review from someone who understands height phobias.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque terre

I read your posting with interest. We're spending 4 nights in Monterosso in a couple of weeks and my husband has a terrible fear of heights. We thought we would like to at least see this part Italy as part of our travels, even if by boat if weather permits, or by train from town to town. But it would be really nice to take some nice walks or hikes. Length of walk/hike isn't an issue - being near the edge of a path looking down is. Can you recommend any "walks/mild hikes" that can be enjoyed on a non-rainy day anywhere between Portovenere and Levanto where we can access a trailhead or walking path by train? The bike ride from Levanto to Bonnasola sounds like our "speed" - adding a walk in somewhere would be a bonus.

4. Re: Cinque terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 05:15