We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel for two women - Riomaggiore to Paris

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into trains that will take me on the journey from Riomaggiore to Paris. So far, the most direct (and most convenient) seems to be from Riomaggiore to Milan, then Milan to Paris in a overnighter. Here are my questions:

1) Is there a train that actually goes from Riomaggiore directly to Milan? I'm just concerned as to whether the Riomaggiore departure city is, indeed, the correct departure city, if that makes sense.

2) For the overnighter from Milan to Paris, I will be traveling with one other female traveler. We want a private "compartment" in the train with two beds. We are wondering if we book the tickets together and choose "letto in cabina a 2 - donna," that will accomplish the task. When we did that on trenitalia.com, it gave us the same coach number, but seats 51 and 55. this made me believe that we were in the same compartment, but I want to make sure that there will be no one else in that coach with us.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel for two women - Riomaggiore to Paris

1) To travel to Milan from Riomaggiore, you normally have to change at least once, in La Spezia OR Levanto OR Sestri Levante OR Rapallo OR Genova Brignole; or twice (Sestri Levante + Genova Piazza Principe OR La Spezia and Parma) or 3 times (La Spezia + Pisa + Florence). I can see only 1 exception - on a weekday, at least, didn't look at e.g. Sunday - which is the 17:29 Regionale Veloce, arr. Milano Centrale 21:35: which actually takes longer than most of the routes involving a change.

2) It sounds as though you got what you want, i.e. "Letto in cabina a 2 - donna": see seat61.com/….Uy8Klk2PLug

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel for two women - Riomaggiore to Paris

There is only one train a day direct from Riomaggiore to Milan. This is the 17.29 Regional train, with no reserved seats, and no refreshment facilities on its four hour journey.

Otherwise (and preferably) you have to change trains from a Regional train onto an Intercity train with reserved seats and a small rolling refreshment cart, changing usually at Levanto, Sestri Levante or Genova - the Trenitalia website will tell you where for each departure time if you enter Riomaggiore to Milano Centrale. The Intercity trains can be purchased separately without registration (click 'non sono registrato') on the Trenitalia website.

Booking the night train is easier to understand on https://www.thello.com/?iLangID=3 though you're OK with what you're booking on Trenitalia - seat numbers are strange because a 2-person compartment actually contains 6 beds only two of which are pulled down and in use.

I hope you've read some of the Tripadvisor threads on the Thello night trains - people do not always like them at all! An alternative is to fly cheaply from Pisa Airport to Paris on EasyJet or Transavia (or Ryanair to out-of-town Paris Beauvais).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel for two women - Riomaggiore to Paris

Before you book the night train, I suggest you read the comments at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k5116890… particularly the more recent pages.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel for two women - Riomaggiore to Paris

Thank you everyone for your responses.

If anyone is traveling similarly: after reading all of the reviews online about the trains, my friend and I opted to take a flight from CT to Paris. We went from La Spezia to Pisa to Paris. I"m glad we decided to do this instead.

5. Re: Travel for two women - Riomaggiore to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre
Recent Conversations