We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre questions from newbies

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cinque Terre questions from newbies

Three travelers coming from Florence to Cinque Terre in mid June (June 18) Want to stay for a couple nights then head back to Florence. NEVER been to Italy or Europe before, so please excuse my ignorance.

We could rent a car for this or take the train. I think we would prefer the train.

Can someone please advise where I might to to help me evaluate the best way to travel between the cities?

I tried the raileurope.com site and it won't quote prices or show schedule yet. But I was able to select the correct stations.

Is there a better web site? Thank you.

United States
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre questions from newbies

There are two main train operators for Italy but for this journey the state run Trenitalia would be your best bet for schedules. www.trenitalia.com Select the English option or Tutti i Treni to see all the schedules. Since part of your journey is on regional trains, use a date within the next 7 days to see fares but you don't need to purchase in advance. There's no price advantage.

A car would not do you any good as parking is difficult and the roads wind inland and take much longer to get from village to village.

TAB

Edited: 04 April 2014, 05:47
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,066 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre questions from newbies

Seaway to reach Monterosso, is take the bus Florence to Viareggio www.vaibus.com/pdf/orari/EXTRAURB_001.pdf

Then the ferry www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it

Trains www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times, enter the name of a CT village for destination and departure times

Accommodatiobn ww.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.incinqueterre.com

Edited: 04 April 2014, 07:27
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,811 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre questions from newbies

Trains to the Cinque Terre are not yet online for dates past June 13. Use a current date for information - there will be few changes.

4. Re: Cinque Terre questions from newbies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 23:35
5. Re: Cinque Terre questions from newbies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 06:16