We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

Sarasota
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

Hello.

I have been reading on this forum about the Ct, and I would like to visit. It sounds like a 3 night visit will give me the flavor I am looking for.

Is that enough time?

From there I want to spend 5 days in Rome.

Transportation is my problem.

I will be flying from New York City, and to get anywhere close to CT (Pisa or Florence), I first need to stop for a layover in Rome.

Would a non-strop to Milan be a better way to go, and then a train to the CT

Then from the CT, would a train to Pisa or Florence, and then a flight to Rome or would a train to Rome be my best way to travel?

Any suggestions, and please be specific if you can, would be appreciated.

This trip will take place in either June or August

Thank you.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

Direct trains from Milano Centrale, about 1 hr from Malpensa, to Monterosso (don't know which of the CT you are heading to) take about 3 hrs, At some times you would have to change in Genoa and sometimes also Sestri Levante. It's not possible to be specific because it depends on departure, which depends on your flight time - and if arriving late, you may need to stay in Milan overnight anyway.

From Rome Fiumicino you would travel via Roma Termini and La Spezia, sometimes changing also in Florence and Pisa, total travelling time 5 or 6 hrs. And the same applies for the trip from Monterosso to Rome, of course, i.e. there is no direct train from the CT but you don't necessarily have to travel via Florence, There are some direct trains from La Spezia to Roma Termini (and Ostiense before that) which take about 4 hrs (e.g. dep. 10:06, arr. 14:03, dep. 13:14, arr. 16:32).; but at other times you would indeed have to change in Pisa and Florence.

You could just look up train times yourself, using current dates coresponding to a similar day of the week, on www.trenitalia.com

Edited: 21 April 2014, 15:51
Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
44 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

Train all the way. Train from Milan (MXP) will take you about 3 hours. You'll have to transfer at least once (Milano Centrale) but it's a piece of cake and very reasonable. Train is by far the easiest way to get to CT.

3 days there sounds about right unless you plan to do some hard core hiking. 3 days will give you plenty of time to visit the different villages, maybe even venture out to La Spezia, Rapallo, or Santa Margherita. When you are done there you just just take the train down to Rome. You'll probably need to change trains somewhere along that route too, but again, no biggy. That trip will be closer to 4 or 5 hours depending on where you stay in CT. Still, better than flying and way cheaper.

TrenItalia will have all the route particulars. Just plug in where you want to go on their website and it will show you all the options and pricing.

http://www.trenitalia.com/

Here's another really helpful website... http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

If this summer, do see what is available for lodging very soon.

I don't like layovers - if you are really considering one (vs just flying into Milan), figure out how much time it will take including the time between flights, etc. Personally, I'd just fly into Rome and take the train from there.

And, when going to Rome - take the train again.

To see your choices for train schedules use www.trenitalia.com - click on UK flag for English, put in name of your village of choice and use station names Milano Centrale, Roma Termini - put a low number like 6 in the box for the hour to see a full day train schedule.

If you fly into Malpensa (Milan), you can take the train from the airport to Milano Centrale and then pick up the train to CT -

If you want to go for a layover flight - use train station names PIsa Centrale and Firenze S M Novella.

August is the absolute busiest month of the year along the seaside - so, booking soon is essential.

Have fun planning.

Sarasota
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

Thanks to all of you.

You have given me a great many things to consider, and I think I must learn to use the train schedule site that you all directed me toward.

If you have been in the CT, would you recommend one village or place over another for a "base" camp?

And, are there any reasonable places to stay...yes, what does reasonable mean?

Also I think I read that due to landslides, some of the trails were or are closed.

Any info on that.

Again, grazie tante!

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
44 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

It's a tough call on the base camp. I stayed in Monterosso which I felt was a good. It is more spread out than the other towns so I felt like it was not nearly as congested with people. It's alittle bigger than the others so there's more to do there. It's also the flattest of the villages, so getting around is pretty easy.

I also liked Riomaggiore; it had a nice vibe to it.

Vernazza was spectacular looking, but it is tiny in size, so it was just packed with people.

Corniglia is really quaint, but it is on top of a hill so you must hike up a something like 382 steps to get up there every time, or take a shuttle van. That might get annoying if you are staying for several days.

We didn't spend much time in Manarola, so can't really comment.

Reasonable places? Well, depends on what you think is reasonable. This area is very popular, especially in the summer, so prices are a bit on the high side in general. But, you can find some deals here and there if you are flexible. We stayed in Il Timone Camere ( http://www.iltimonedimonterosso.it/ ) and it was arouand 90 euro per night. I felt like it was a pretty good deal. Nice accommodations and really great hosts there. Very quiet part of the town. Only drawback was it was a little over 10 minute walk to the train station, but there's a little bus if you are sick of walking or short on time.

As far as the trail is concerned I believe it is still out of commission between Riomaggiore and Manarola, but is supposed to open sometime this year, so it may be open when you go. All other sections are open.

Prego

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

hi: there are very fast efficient trains .... the fastest train from Florence to Rome is about 1 hr 20 min....but the train (with transfer) from the CT to Florence takes 3 hrs......read the following great train info:

http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

7. Re: Getting to the Cinque Terre and then to Rome??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre