We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

Redwood City...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

My Italy vacation will start in Rome and I am trying to figure out if I should go to Cinque Terre from Rome via train, or take the train to Florence and then after a few days take a train to Cinque Terre. My next destination would be Venice. There are six of us, 1 of which is a toddler. I've also considered hiring a private car to drive us to Cinque Terre from Rome. Any recommendations???

Thank you!

Brenda

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

Maybe don't rent a car. It's useless in the Cinque Terre, and parking is a major issue unless you have free parking included with your accommodation. And a car is also a liability in Florence.

For trains from Roma Termini or Firenze S. M Novella to any individual Cinque Terre village e,g, Monterosso see www.trenitalia,com clicking the UK flag for English and entering your 'hour' of departure e.g. enter '13' for 13.00. Use a date before June 15, as Regional trains are not yet online for later dates. Use a date this week to see fares for journeys between Florence and the Cinque Terre entirely by Regional trains. Under threes are free if on laps - to guarantee a seat for a toddler, buy a child fare.

For dates after June 14 you can book Rome to la Spezia Centrale or Firenze S.M. Novella now for 120 days ahead, and also Monterosso to Venezia S. Lucia, though certain of these journeys are currently shown as sold out on some July and August dates when in fact they have not yet been placed on sale.

Tickets for Regional trains between la Spezia and Monterosso calling at the other four Cinque Terre villages can be bought in Italy - these trains have no advance reductions and no reserved seats so cannot sell out.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

hi: i would not recommend taking the trip from Rome to the Cinque Terre in one long haul...firstly, the CT certainly isn't a "day-trip" from Rome; it is barely a day-trip from Florence as one is on a train for 6 hrs r/t (3 hrs ea way from FL). If you do go to the Cinque Terre, it's best to spend at least one night, preferably more. And if your next stop is Venice, you certainly wish to relax before the long haul across Italy (at least 6 hrs i think).

Since you mentioned stopping in Florence, what would you like to explore? If you haven't already, read up in a guidebook on this magnificent city as there are a lot of things to see and do. You have a toddler and certainly would like some 'down time' in a park where you don't always have to be on the go in a busy city or inside a famous site. I suggest making a little list of the things you'd like to see...perhaps organizing the days (city center and museum/site day; neighborhoods/market walking day, Boboli Gardens/relax in nature day....).

Another option, instead of Florence, is the lovely town of Lucca. It is a much smaller, more intimate Italian city that has a beautiful ramparts encircling the town where everyone strolls and/or bicycles...there's usually a lot of grass on the sides of the ramparts to roll around in ... wide tree-lined streets, good food, beautiful churches....AND it's on the way to the Cinque Terre. So you could stay in Lucca for 2 full days/3 nights and then head out to the coast OR make your way from Lucca to Venice (probably changing trains in FL), which would be a more enjoyable jaunt.

www.lucca.ca/attractions/luccacitywalls.html‎

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di8PZ-1lZjA

Redwood City...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

Thank your for your suggestions. I had done some research on the length of the journeys between Rome and CT and also from Rome to Florence and then Florence to CT. Seemed like it was a shorter distance from Rome to Florence, we'd then spend some time there before going to CT. If we did that my question is what is the journey like from CT to Venice? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

Certainly much faster from Rome to Florence. But also much faster from Florence to Venice than from the Cinque Terre to Venice. Makes little difference which order you go in, it's just a choice of evils.

The easiest way from the Cinque Terre to Venice is from Monterosso to Venezia S. Lucia with just one change of train in Milano Centrale and in reserved seats all the way. Journeys from the other four villages and on other routes require at least one more change of train and at least one Regional train with no reserved seats, and sometimes more than half the journey time in Regional trains.

See www.trenitalia.com

Redwood City...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

One other thought... how about Rome to Venice to Florence to CT then Milan? How long of a train ride from Rome to Venice?

I'm trying to find the faster route through these cities.

Thank you!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

The lengths of all these train rides are immediately available on www.trenitalia.com by clicking the UK flag for English first and using a date before June 14.

Journey times to the Cinque Terre vary by departure time and also by which village you are heading for, as the service differs to each village - for example only Monterosso is served by Intercity trains.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

I really hope this is a two week or longer trip, because otherwise you're going to spend all of your time getting to these places and virtually no time actually being there.

The Cinque Terre requires a fair amount of walking, even if you're using either the trains or boats to get from town to town. You may want to factor that into your thinking since you'll have a toddler with you.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

By the way, with six people a private transfer isn't such a bad idea. When you look at the cost for five train tickets (for the adults), the cost of a car transfer may not look so bad, especially when you consider the ease of point-to-point transfer and luggage handling. When you use the trains you have to move everything yourself - having done that with a ton of luggage and a child (she was six at the time, but still not much help when it came to hauling stuff) I can tell you that it's a bit of a challenge.

9. Re: Cinque Terre from Rome or Florence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:15