We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

Some of you might think I am crazy but I love seafood, I am just a very picky seafood eater. I am hoping I can get some restaurant recommendations here because I cannot really find this answer in the restaurant section of Trip Advisor.

My situation...I cannot eat calamari, scallops, oysters at all (allergic). I cannot eat a lot of shellfish/clams/mussels in dinner quantities...maybe appetizer quantities (digestion issues). I absolutely cannot eat raw fish or meat (digestion) I also do not enjoy taking shrimp or lobster out of the shell if I do eat it for dinner. I do love grilled fish but like it without the head, bones or skin served. Believe it or not, I am a gourmet cook. I just am a fussy seafood eater.

It seems so many pics I see of food at Cinque Terre restaurants has the type of food I have a hard time eating. I am wondering if anyone knows of restaurants that serve good non-seafood items or that serve the type of seafood that I can eat or do like?

I do realize that Cinque Terre is known for seafood and I do want to try it but I do not want to get ill on this long awaited vacation. Thanks :-)

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

I live here, year round, and have a severe allergy to most shellfish as well as calamari and squid, so do not worry! You won't go hungry.

The nice part about Liguria is that as much as it is the cuisine of the sea, the settlements and cuisine trace back to live above the village in the mountains, so you can find many plates with land-based ingredients that are quite typical. Most restaurants will have at least one steak dish and vegetarian dish, but beyond that, look for things like Ligurian stuffed vegetables (with meat), vegetable and rice pies, mesciua (a very typical bean stew), pansotti with walnut sauce, ANYTHING with pesto, panissa and farinata (chickpea flour based snacks), cima if you can find it (meat stuffed with more meat - then boiled and sliced - delicious), ravioli stuffed with meat and borage, and more non-Ligurian dishes that pop up all over Italy, like lasagne and ragu and so forth.

You didn't mention anchovies. If you aren't allergic to them and you are here, as someone interested in food you cannot leave without trying them. They are perhaps the most typical fish of the region, and completely different then the ones you might find salted and tinned in Albany. If heads and such scare you, get the lemon cured ones.

Also, keep in mind that most local fish and shrimp and scampi ecc are served with heads on and so forth - for the people here, it's a sign of quality and usually considered one of the best parts...so just ask before ordering if this is a problem for you.

Mentioned in this post
Brookline MA
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

The most customer oriented restaurant I have ever seen was at the predominantly seafood restaurant La Posteria in Viareggio last year, about 75 minutes from CT. The celiac diner next to me was in awe at the offerings and attention. Anyone with special food desires is welcomed here.

An omnivore I know wrote: "We ate great food at Ristorante La Posteria operated by Chef Federica Santini. This is one remarkable cook as she knows fish better than Poseidon, and also has substantial gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan offerings. We watched her clean and filet about six kinds of fish, with a running commentary on which fin was where and what these gucky things did and how to remove them and make a delicious sauce."

Edited: 25 April 2014, 17:41
New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and detailed replies! Greatly appreciated! Cm...appreciate the explanations of those meals and food items also. About anchovies...I love sardines (without the head, skin and bones) and I did hear that anchovies are amazing there. Do they serve them with the heads and skin attached? I think I would be willing to try them as an appetizer with some bread and olive oil :-)

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

I'm sure it's lovely...but I think an hour 20 minute train ride there and then back is a little extreme for dinner when there are tons (TONS) of options around here.

New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

I will be staying in Levanto and do not mind a 20 minute train ride to dinner and back to Levanto but I think a ride longer than 20 minutes would be too much for dinner. Maybe for lunch it would be good :-). I hope the trains run later in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Levanto
Levanto
Italian Riviera, Italy
Brookline MA
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

cm28, point taken. My post was intended to help Lisa W or travelers with similar concerns who are near Viareggio as they travel to or from Cinque Terre.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

Lisa: yes, the heads are taken off but there are no scales so the skin is edible. They are smaller then sardines. Some types (lemon, salted) are filleted but others (sautéed in padella, in carpione, skewered) have the spinal bone in them which you can take out in one easy swoop.

New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

Thanks to everyone so much for your thoughtful replies! I will definitely try anchovies! Hope to find some fresh sardines there also.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

Sardines, not so much. I have only seen them a few times on menus and not in this part of Liguria. But regardless...enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Question-meat instead of seafood

Besides anchovies and shellfish, what type of fish is "local?" I love salmon, mahi mahi, just about any kind of white fish, tuna, etc.