We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good trail info

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
284 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
good trail info

On the train to ct now and looking for good current trail info. Hearing about closures but not really closed if you go at own risk, etc. Has someone hike recently w good intel?

Level Contributor
1,327 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good trail info

Newspapers are full of tourists who got lost going on closed trails. Hooe we won't have to run after you.

NY
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good trail info

I would be concerned about the risks, trails are closed for a reason, Even the mild "Amore" trail

onceinalifetimetravel.me/2012/…

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good trail info

Parts of trail 2 are closed because they are unsafe to hike. Though to the amateur eye they might look ok, there are much more serious structural issues overhead that need to be fixed before they can be safely hiked. If you hop a fence and keep on going, it's not only dangerous for you, but the local volunteers and emergency workers who out their lives at risk to come get you. It's careless and a bad idea, especially when there are many, many other trails open. The national park has alist of all open trails.

Check out the blog "a path to lunch" and "liguriah.wordpress" for some hiking info, as well as bellavitaitalia.com/blog

And be careful!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good trail info

I understand that it's wise to stop at the tourist office and ask for the latest info on closed trails, etc. Enjoy your trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: good trail info

Last year in nearby Ameglia, usage of a closed trail area became widespread with the result that the Carabinieri sent a patrol which fined about a dozen people. This is no doubt an unlikely outcome for foreigners in the CT, but these communities have a duty to take these closures seriously. They expend a lot of effort on medical emergencies, so just choose another of the many beautiful trails.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good trail info

thanks for all the advice and the one useful website....thanks,

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good trail info

For anyone interested and travelling to CT soon (as I am sure this changes), here is what I learned:

- for the coastal hikes (along the sea that are most popular), only the trail from monterossa to vernaza is officially open

- the trail from vernaza to corniglia is "officially closed but not unsafe" (that is a quote from the ticket lady not mine although I found it to be accurate

- the coastal trail from corniglia to riomaggiore is CLOSED - ie. physically blocked off

- the non-coastal hikes, though are also very good - esp. for the hikers in good shape. I took one from montarola to corniglia thru vostra which was awesome. Rick Steves guidebook has an excellent description of this w/ a little customization.

one word of caution unrelated to hiking....the trains are a pain and very crowded. pickpockets are prevalent...odd and unsettling in such a beautiful place. I personally let my guard down (which I wouldn't have done in rome lets say) and got bit so be careful. I found this far more "troublesome" than the hiking paths....

8. Re: good trail info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 19:16
9. Re: good trail info

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 19:01
10. Re: good trail info

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 19:01