We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

Beaverton, Oregon
7 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

My husband and I will be taking a day trip from Lucca to Cinque Terre in a couple of weeks. We are wanting to leave early in the morning and come back later in the evening to really give ourselves a full day. I have been checking the train timetables and it seems doable.

Neither of us have been to Cinque Terre so does anyone have a good itinerary for us? I have read that the only coastal trail open is the one from Vernazza to Monterosso al Mare. We for sure want to do this hike. What else should we do?

Thanks!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

I seee there is a train from Lucca at 7.59 to Viareggio, change train to La Spezia , change again to Monterosso arriving at 10.06. When you have had a look around Monterosso take the Trail to Vernazza which will get you there in time for lunch. From there catch the ferry to Portovenere buying an all day ticket, wander around the harbour area and climb up to the church for the views. Then catch the ferry back to the CT villages getting off at Riomaggiore or Manarola. Unfortunately the Trail between these places is likely to remain closed so your only option is to take the train from either of these places back to Lucca. Hope you have a nice day .

Beaverton, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Sounds great!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

Hello.

My family and I are also planning for a day trip to CT from Lucca (in September this year). I read from another forum (Fodor's, I think) that the train tickets we buy from Lucca to, say, Monterosso (with changeovers at Pisa or Viareggio and at La Spezia) can be used on trains within CT coming down i.e. from Monterosso down to Vernazza or to Riomaggiore as long as these are done within the 6 hours' validity of the ticket. Have I got that right?

If the above is correct, would I still need to buy the CT Train Card or the CT Card? The CT Card allows one to access the hiking trails (not that we intend to do much of that given we have planned for only a day there) but we would like to do the walkway between Manarola and Riomaggiore. Does one require the CT Card to do that?

My plans was for us to do, at most, 3 towns (Vernazza for it being the jewel of CT, Manarola for photo ops and Riomaggiore for the Lovers' Walk/Lane), with lunch at one and, perhaps, dinner at another. It's highly unlikely that we will be going into churches/museums/galleries as we would have done those to death in Rome and Florence. Is that one town too many? Which town would you suggest we drop off or add on?

A number of people have commented about spending at least 1 night in CT to really appreciate the area. We are now toying with that idea but it may not be possible to get any accommodation by now. However, we may be able to have dinner in CT before catching the train back to Lucca later in the evening (we heard that it is still quite bright at 9pm?) - how quiet and safe are the train stations at night?

I would really appreciate some feedback and/or suggestions as this is our first time to Italy. Thanks all in advance.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,223 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

Tickets between Lucca and Monterosso are valid for six hours after validation in the appropriate direct of travel.

You will need a CT Card if you are walking any of the coastal train, but only the basic one, not the Treno card at twice the price.

For the full experience, you should also go on the boat http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

Perilizia, thank you for your reply and for correcting my mistake.

Seeing that you are the destination expert, could you tell me whether doing 3 of the CT towns (on the one day) is too rushed and stressful. No churches, galleries, etc . We would just like to wander around a little but do not need to visit all the 5 towns. We are also toying with the idea of having dinner at one of the towns there, likely Riomaggiore, but would like to know how safe and quiet are the train stations at night when going back to Lucca from CT.

Not sure about taking the boat to experience the area as two family members are prone to sea-sickness. We will do what we can.

Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it.

ny
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

Hi. My wife and I are planing the same trip from Lucca in September. Any info and advise would be greatly appreciated thanks

7. Re: Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2015, 06:16