We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

Sarasota, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

We are three couples going to Italy in October. I have reserved a auto to drive from Venice to Cinque Terre. Can I get some input from some of you that have actually done this and would you advise us to do the same. We have time to take it easy across.

Turin
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

Beware of ZTLs and speed traps.

I like www.viamichelin.com because you can get an idea of costs (tolls & gas) and choose a panoramic route instead of Autostrada.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

You get a bunch of tunnels on the coast - not sure of the drive from Venice, having done it coming from France.

Do be sure to get International Driver's Permit(s) - all drivers need one, they are legally required in Italy; you get them easily at AAA offices. You need it along with your regular driver's license.

I would think it is a very long drive given that just on the train it is a six hour journey.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

Better rent a large car...6 people in a tiny car for 8 hours could spell trouble.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

If you book the train now, you can probably get Venezia S. Lucia to Monterosso for €18 each on wwww. traintalia.com (click the UK flag first for English. and enter an 'hour' of '6' for 06.00 to see all trains), in reserved seats the whole way, with just the one change in Milano Centrale. Compare that with the cost of renting a vehicle large enough for six people plus their baggage, plus the fuel and toll costs along the way (see viamichelin for the latter..

Cars are very much a mixed blessing in the Cinque Terre, particularly if you are staying somewhere without its own parking. Many villages have limited parking, at some distance from most accommodation. And the roads to villages other than Monterosso and Riomaggiore are atrocious.

If you were thinking of dropping the car off first in la Spezia (you can't drop off in the Cinque Terre) and then proceeding to the CT by train, the total journey time will usually be more than the journey time by train all the way.

Sarasota, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

We leave Venice on Oct 19 and plan to fly out of Milan on the 24th.We have reserved a small van. I am the planner for the group but I have never been to Italy. We have a van while we are in the Sorento and Amalfi area and will take the train to Venice after that. We were looking at it as perhaps a slow pace across with maybe a stop or two if we saw something interesting but the more I look at this it sounds as if we should just get ourselves there by train to avoid a lot of wear and tear on ourselves. I really appreciate your input. What would you suggest.

Sarasota, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

I don't know what ZLTs are

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

Google it - there is a world of info on them and other driving laws in Italy that you really do need to know before driving there.

It is ZTL (not ZLT) -

Edited: 20 July 2014, 14:37
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

I'd go by train and book now - the 08.50 departure to Monterosso via Milano Centrale is still available for €18 on your date though the cheapest fares have sold out for later departures.

A ZTL is a limited traffic zone. Florence's is the worst tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c146632/Tusca…

Edited: 20 July 2014, 14:40
Beirut, Lebanon
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

Guys I'm leaving Cinque Terre to Venice on the 26th of september. I used Trenitalia's website but i didn't find any fare for less than 56 EUR (2 adults). I found one leaving Monterosso at 12:54 via Milano Centrale and arrives to Venice S. Lucia at 18:40 for 56 EUR. Do you think it's the best way to move from Cinque Terre to Venice?

Edited: 22 July 2014, 11:57
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Venice to Cinque Terre

Unless you know international/Italian road signs, like to drive hours at a time, have great maps, understand ZTL, and know the price of gas in liters; take the train where you can still see the countryside, read, relax, and avoid accidents, fines, etc. I live near you where cars are the only way to travel, but Europe has great, efficient public transportation. Have a great trip!

Edited: 22 July 2014, 22:47