We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Cinque Terre by car

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to Cinque Terre by car

Hello

My husband and I are considering hiring a car to drive from Florence to Cinque Terre.

Has anybody done this? We would spend the day there and drive back to Florence. Unfortuantely we only have one day to do this.

Is it worth it?

The train there and back takes 6 hours and going on a day tour is quite expensive.

Thanks for any advice.

Lee

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

Driving will also take about 3 hours each way. There are no roads directly linking the villages, the roads into each village are very difficult, and there is very little parking. Bad idea.

Maybe go to Lucca instead.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

You could adopt a mixed system: drive to La Spezia (there is an underground parking, expensive but handy, right under the railway station), then move by train between the CT villages.

Brun066

Edited: 07 August 2014, 21:49
Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

you will still be in transport 6 hrs (round trip)...so if it was me, i would not go. Yes, the Cinque Terre is beautiful but it deserves at least one overnight.

Instead, as sydneynick suggests...how about a wonderful day in lovely Lucca or magical Siena.....both are a 1hr+ bus/train ride from Florence and very easy to get to.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

Thank you, Brun066, that is what we were intending to do. I did not explain that properly. However, will it take 3 hours to drive as indicated by others on this post. On our Maps app, it says under 2 hours.

Thank you again for the advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

Florence to La Spezia by car is not much more than 2 hours, but then you have to wait for a train and travel to a village, so it does not save much time.

For reasonably accurate (but still a bit optimistic) estimates of travel time in Europe, see www.viamichelin.com

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

Thanks sydneymick we will take everyone's advice and take the train from florence

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

I know its an early start but you could take the 7.39 Frecciabianca from Firenze Campo di Marte which takes 1HR 29m to La Spezia Centrale and return from La Spezia Centrale to Campo di Marte on the 20.07 taking 1HR 27m. That would give you a good full day in the Cinque Terre area

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

Thank you Cudgey that is great information. We do not mind getting up early.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

When are you going ? Look at the trenitalia website and you may get a reduced fare if booked in advance

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre by car

We will be there in October, Cudgey. I have looked on the trenitalia website and there are cheaper fares at the moment. I am waiting to hear back from the boat company for their October timetable as we would like to take the train through the villages in the morning and return from Monterosso by boat in the late afternoon. Their website only shows the timetable to September but says it still operates in October.

Thank you again for your advice.

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre