We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flood damage in Manarola?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flood damage in Manarola?

Hello - I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy for this May/June. I've been reading that Cinque Terra was severely damaged in the floods. Can someone tell me if Manarola was also affected? Is it still worth visiting?

Thanks in advance!

PM

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,665 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flood damage in Manarola?

Manarola, Riomaggiore, and Corniglia were not at all affected.

And Vernazza and Monterosso are progressing nicely with much hard work and support.

http://savevernazza.com/

rebuildmonterosso.com/p/visitors-information…

Visit and enjoy!

Vagabonda

Edited: 01 March 2012, 15:20
La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flood damage in Manarola?

I went to Manarola in early Jan to see the nativity and it was no different to last summer apart from being less crowded of course.

Bend Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flood damage in Manarola?

I am presently in La Spezia and attempted to hike the cinque terre. the trail from Riomaggiore to Coniglia and Manrola is closed. You can reach it by train or ferry.

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flood damage in Manarola?

The trail from Riomaggiore to Manarola is open. I walked it today. It has not been closed recently. Manarola to Vernazza via Corniglia is closed.

Trial closures can be found at:

parconazionale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp…

TAB

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flood damage in Manarola?

Manarola is in perfect shape. I just returned few days ago. In fact, Manarola is the only 5 terre town that is untouched by the storm. Vernazza is full of workmen and looks like a war zone. Monterossa al Mare is untouched in new town, but old town a little shopworn from the storms. Riomaggiore is supposed to be ok, but I never got a chance to go there. Manarola is the best of the 5 towns in my view. Go there :-). BTW, Da Paulin apartments are great! I will do a write up on them soon. Ciao, Jack

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flood damage in Manarola?

@Jack F - Manarola, though undamaged by the flood, was not the ONLY town undamaged. Riomaggiore and Corniglia were also untouched. Monterosso is more or less back to normal, and Vernazza a little bit more behind but working quite hard :)

7. Re: Flood damage in Manarola?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:54