We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterosso al mare or Levanto

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Monterosso al mare or Levanto

Hi,

We are two couples looking for accommodation in Monterosso al mare in May 2010. We are looking for standard accommodation prefer with parking and our budget is around $100 euro per room. I am having real difficulity as all the reasonable rooms seem to have already been booking thru booking,com and anything that is left is either too expensive or has really bad reviews. There seems to be reasonable accommodation in Levanto, and from what I have read it is not too far from Monterosso.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,682 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

Levanto is a lovely town and only a few minutes by train to Monterosso - Levanto would be an acceptable option.

Staying in Levanto:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187817-i997-k2428…

Most hotels in Monterosso don't offer parking, but there is a paid lot.

A stop in Cinque Terre, on our drive from Nice to Florence:

tripadvisor.com/…18495024

You could also try emailing hotel websites - The Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre lists all accommodations in the Cinque Terre:

parks.it/parco.nazionale.cinque.terre/Esog.p…

But if you’ve found acceptable lodging in Levanto, don’t hesitate to book.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Edited: 19 December 2009, 21:45
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

Hi

Thanks for that. We have found B & B Vignola in Levanto and it looks good and very reasonable. I have been emailing some hotels which dont appear on booking.com so will wait for their reply. Thanks for your suggestions

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,682 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

B&B Vignola has excellent review!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g580223-d152031…

It’s low season along the Riviera; many hotels are closed, so you may not receive a prompt reply.

You might appreciate Levanto’s more local experience, and it's an excellent base for exploring the Cinque Terre.

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

We found Levanto charming. A nice beach with a few cafes so we could sit and enjoy the scene, nice restaurants, some history to explore and easy to get to the Cinque Terre or to SMagherita Ligure by train.. The train station is higher than the town and many places that provide parking actually provide it on a lot near the station as it is quite restricted in town. May should be nice. We stayed in September and it was still very hot. By the time we got back from the train station to the hotel, or walked from the town uphill to the hotel we were fairly hot and bothered (boiled lobsters come to mind). We stayed at the Villa Margherita, very pretty but we found the rooms quite small and while it has a lift from the parking down to the hotel, it does not have an internal lift and is some number of stairs off the street. Fine if you are fit, by the way. We are not!

www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/Levanto.htm

and the steps to the hotel

nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/HotelsP/789-Levanto…

plus whatever steps inside

norway
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

Hi

We stayed in Levanto last summer, and had a great time. The town is larger than the tiny villages inside the Cinque Terre and less touristy. The Cinque Terre is easily reached by train. We bought a Cinque Terre Card and was on and off the trains all the time. If you're planning to hike, don't miss the walk from Levanto to Monterosso. One of the best IMHO.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,682 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

The trek from Levanto to Monterosso is challenging – It’s very scenic, less crowded than the treks in the Cinque Terre, and it should take about 2,5 hours.

The trek between Levanto and Monterosso has some steep sections - The trek is easier from Levanto to Monterosso, than from Monterosso to Levanto. It’s a beautiful walk!

travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Hiking from Levanto to Monterosso:

igougo.com/…1141713

peregrineadventures.com/Europe/…

And for information on the Cinque Terre Cards….

parconazionale5terre.it/…

Vagabonda

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

Hi

Thanks for your reply. What was the name of the place you stayed in Levanto? would you recommend it.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,682 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

foona123 rented an apartment from the family that also run Villa Margherita, Apartment Platani.

http://www.levanto.net/rentals/index.htm

Accomodation Levanto:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187817-i997-k3071…

Vagabonda

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

I was just in CT in early June 2009. We stayed in Monterosso for 3 or 4 nights at the B&B Il Parco and LOVED IT. http://www.ilparco.com/

The view was to die for and though it was about a 5-10 min walk from the main stretch, the views and quiet, relaxing nature of the B&B was well worth it. The B&B also has parking and is behind a private code-only gate.

If you decide to stay in Monterosso, please consider this B&B. It is probably one of the best one's you'll find with parking. Most other places you'll have to park on the outskirts of town and walk or take a cab in.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monterosso al mare or Levanto

Thanks for your reply. Pretty sure I tried the B&B and they were fully booked. I have booked at B &B Vignola in Levanto which has really good reviews and as we have a car it doesnt matter that it is out of town a little bit.

Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare