We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

Hi,

I'm scheduling a late arrival to Monterosso on a Friday night... after checking into hotel, etc... may be 10p before able to get out to dinner... are restaurants around there still serving?

Just wondering if we should plan on eating in Pisa before boarding train.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

Just got back from the Cinque Terre last Sunday. I did check out Monterosso during the day, and there were lots of people dining and drinking coffee and enjoying gelato, but can't speak to the restaurants being open late...and what if you're delayed? I stayed in Levanto, and I don't think I'd have had problems getting food at that hour, but that's a larger town. Eating in Pisa is probably a good idea, to be safe. You can always drop your bags and go for a late night gelato or cocktail if you want to get out and about.

NOTE: The thievery in that part of Italy is scary! My camera was stolen right out of my backpack in Vernazza and getting on the train back to Milan, my wallet and smartphone were stolen right out of my purse. I talked to an older American couple and the husband said he had taken off his jacket and laid it on a bench beside him; 10 seconds later, no jacket! Be extremely careful. The scenery is beautiful, and make sure to walk the Via Dell A'More.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

Yikes!! Scary!

United States
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

<<NOTE: The thievery in that part of Italy is scary! >>

ANY place where there are lots of tourists who are not paying attention is ripe for pickpockets. There are warning signs on the train platforms to pay attention to your belongings. Even churches are not exempt from petty crime like this.

TAB

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

So TAB... are restaurants serving this late?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

Just make sure to watch your stuff; I still can't figure out how someone got into my backpack, found the camera and reclosed the backpack...with me not knowing. I went to Barcelona last year, which is notorious for theft and I was fine, though the constant vigilance wasn't exactly relaxing.

Just spread your cards and cash around in different places, and if you are traveling with someone (I wasn't) make sure IDs and cards are divided up so that if one person is robbed, the other still has some IDs, cards, whatever. I'd go back there, I'd just have to figure how to do some things differently as a solo traveler.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

Ciak's dinner service runs from 19.30 to 22.30

ristoranteciak.it/ristorante/dovesiamo.php

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

Thanks Cudgey! :)

Amethyst -- we'll be extra cautious!

NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

I just returned from Monterosso and can say it was difficult to find a place to eat just at 10, or minutes before. I did find out that La Cantina di Miky did serve past 10 and had a great meal there. Food and service were good and we went back to eat on another night. Not to be confused with their other restaurant Miky, both located close to the train station.

I was surprised that most restaurants closed earlier than I expected, especially in a tourist area. That has not been my experience in Italy generally. Maybe because the tourist season is winding down a bit and/or folks get an earlier start to go hiking and then eat dinner earlier?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

yes, the cantina is probably your best best - depending on the season you are coming, it serves dinner quite late - up til 1 am in the summer.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: for late arrival in Monterosso... are restaurants open late?

Great to know! Thanks!

I looked at their site to see how late they are open while we are there (we will be there late October)...., but I still can't see that they list a closing time for this time of year?

Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare