We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September beach chair & umbrella rentals

Which Monterosso al Mare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
September beach chair & umbrella rentals

Hi, just wondering if the concessions stands will still be open to rent beach chairs and umbrellas the 1st two weeks of September. If so which area has the best services?

Also, how is everything now after the major floods in 2011? is all construction finished in Monterosso? what about Vernazza?

thanks in advance

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

The villages were up and running as normal a few months after the flood thanks to a lot of really hard work and dedicated locals and volunteers. Last summer, things were entirely back to normal and both villages have recovered remarkably.

Beach chairs and umbrellas are available for rent until it gets cold, usually until the end of October or such. September you will find the season still very much going on and the beaches still full of options. I prefer the stretch of beach in the New Town by the Gigante statue as well as the beach there, and also the Stella Marina facilities in the New Town, which is located directly across from Bar Gio and Cantina Di Miky. In the Old Town, the beach there is another good choice. The prices are more or less the same wherever you go. I prefer these because of the facilities they offer (hot shower, beach bar with drinks you can bring out to your lounge chair, sandwiches, salads and so forth...)

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

you prefer the new or the old town facilities. sorry not clear to me.

also, i guess if you pay for the entire day you can leave for a couple of hours for lunch and return to your

chairs?

thanks

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

I prefer several on the new side, and the one on the old side by the ferry boat (the only umbrella rental on the old side)...it's hard to pick a favorite spot, as the view is different from all of them :)

Yes, you have the chair for the day. Just let the guy there know you are coming back.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

Is the ocean bottom clear of large stones? is it easy to walk out into the water?

also can you recommend nice restaurants for dinner, nothing fancy, just nice atmosphere and good food of course. and good bars for an aperitivo?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

The water is usually crystal clear, and there are some small stones in parts of the beach, but it is very easy to walk out in the water because there are no waves. The bottom drops off at about 10 ft out depending on where you are entering the water. Parts, by the photographic rock in the New Town, have more stones then others.

For restaurants, I'd say peruse the forms here on TA. For good bars in Monterosso, Fast Bar, El Dorado in the Old Town, and Eliseo's wine bar are great bets. In the New Town, La Cantina Di Miky, and the bar under the train station are also good choices with ocean front seating.

Maidstone, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

I'm sure it varies from place to place, but could someone tell me roughly how much the beach chairs are?

I will be there at the end of May, are they any cheaper then?

We normally only stay at the beach for a couple of hours, do they normally have a 'per hour' or 'half day' option?

We actually prefer to sit on the sand regardless of cost to be honest. At that time of year will there be any beaches (between Camogli & Portovenere) that there isn't physically enough sand to sit on due to the chairs?

Thanks for any info.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

For a day 2 chairs and an umbrella can set you back anywhere from15-24 euro, some places more, some places less. Just the chair will be less, and if you go later in the afternoon, after lunch, it will usually be about half that. It varies by town, and by the beach you go to within that town, by weather that day, and so forth. Some places might give you a break for a few hours, unless those few hours are during late morning, early afternoon on a sunny day, when the beach is the most crowded. It's very variable.

The only places I can really think of without sand are the towns without beaches but with plenty of rocks that people like to stretch out on - Riomaggiore for example. Even villages with private beaches have free beach space for those who just want a piece of sand.

Maidstone, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

Great info. Thank you very much.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

thanks so much cm! we have been to Monterosso once before but only as a day trip seeing all of 5 terre. now we want to spend about 10 days to relax by the sea and re visit all the villages at a more leisurely pace. its a place you can never get out of your mind.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September beach chair & umbrella rentals

You're both very welcome! Enjoy your trips!

Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare