We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in the Ocean?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in the Ocean?

When does the water warm up for swimming? I am visiting next weekend and wondering whether to pack a bathing suit.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in the Ocean?

It's unlikely to be warm enough for swimming this early, unless you're very hardy.

By the way, it's not an ocean, but a sea; oceans are much larger than the Mediterranean. There are only four oceans in the world, although recently a new ocean, called the Southern Ocean, has been carved out of the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans. I suppose this was for parity with the Arctic Ocean.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in the Ocean?

Thanks ,

It sounds like I'll stay dry!

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in the Ocean?

I took a dip last week and it was freezing - but refreshing as it was pretty hot in the sun for a few hours. It depends on your tolerance. I enjoyed a few minutes in the water, but couldn't handle more then that!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,553 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in the Ocean?

Cm28 is obviously very hardy indeed - I don't go in the water until June at the very earliest!

Further along the coast and a little inland, the sun has now gone and we've switched our central heating on again!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in the Ocean?

Our heat, on the other side of the boot, is back on today as well.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in the Ocean?

Ha, it was freezing! And we have been using the heat as well at night here - it drops to about 9 or 10 overnight.

7. Re: Swimming in the Ocean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare