We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft on the beaches

Ottawa
7 posts
Save Topic
Theft on the beaches

This may seem silly or paranoid, but I'm wondering about theft on the beaches in CT (more specifically Monterosso). I will be there in September with my husband, and we would like to spend some time relaxing at the beach. I am a little afraid of leaving any personal belongings by our beach chairs when we want to go in the water. Is theft as common in CT on the beaches as it is in other places in Italy?

I have been to Italy before (Rome) and of course had my entire purse stolen, which was quite traumatizing. I had already checked out of my hotel and was killing time before heading to the airport, so my purse had my wallet, camera, prescription glasses, passport... everything.

If anyone has any insight or advice they could give me, I'd love hearing it.

NY
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft on the beaches

I know this thread will elicit a lot of opinions as to the safety in Italy and beach thefts, but the fact is that any valuable left unattended will be seen as an opportunity by any thief, even if they are rare.

If you are the victim, what does it matter if the incidents of theft are low?

But what do you really need to take to the beach? A little money? A credit card? If you can safely leave other things in a hotel, you can perhaps take a waterproof container that clasps shut with you into the water. Some have neck cords. If you have an expensive camera, or your card with a lot of pictures is in it, then maybe just come back to the beach to take pictures later.

Well, just some ideas. Also, wear some kind of beach shoes even when you go into the water on many beaches.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 15:42
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft on the beaches

I don't know anywhere in the world you can with 100% confidence leave anything of value laying on the beach and walk away. It's not a risk worth taking anywhere. It could be totally fine but there's no way to predict.

If you absolutely need to take items of value - which I can't imagine you would need to - then stagger your swimming times, taking turns in the water.

How did you get your purse stolen? Were you carrying it at the time or did you have it set down somewhere? Again, if set down somewhere - theft can happen anywhere - I never do that wherever I travel. It's a reality of life that you can't just put your stuff down and expect it to be always 100% safe. Sadly.

Ottawa
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft on the beaches

I guess I was mostly thinking that we'd like to swim together. Anyway, after I wrote the post, I thought of the waterproof neck thing idea. Not sure why I didn't think of it before, as I have one and have used it several times during a previous trip to Southeast Asia.

As for where my purse was stolen in Rome... sadly it was at a McDonalds (yes, we were eating a McDonalds while in Italy). I couldn't tell you when exactly it was stolen or how. I don't know if it was on my lap, on my chair or on me - I just really can't remember if I had taken it off or not. I didn't notice it being gone until we were done eating and got up to leave. I was with 2 other people and they didn't see it happen either. Pretty much everything after that was a blur, since I was in such a panic to get a new passport to catch my flight out.

I'm not a novice traveller, so I am very aware that pickpocketing can happen anywhere. And that there are things you can do to try to prevent yourself from being a target.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft on the beaches

I wouldn't take anything to the beach that would be a problem if stolen, you only need sun cream, and very little money, leave everything else in your room safe.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft on the beaches

If you go to one of the private beaches, I think you can rent a changing room that has a lock. You could leave any valuables in there.

And no offense intended, but you say you're not a novice traveler, but not keeping track of your purse while eating is a novice mistake.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 16:49
Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft on the beaches

I've never had anything stolen in a beach in 40 years. If you go on a paying beach you can rent a beach hut, let your purse in and go swimming with your key on a plastic bracelet or you can ask to the bar tender on the beach to look after your purse.

Ottawa
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft on the beaches

Yup, sure is. It was a mistake I made once, and have never done again!

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft on the beaches

I've never had a problem leaving my stuff in a bag by my lounge chair while I jump in the water for a swim - but be reasonable - don't leave your iphone on the chair then go in the water for a while. Most of the beaches are not large enough to really be so far from eyesight of your things, but yes, at the private beaches you can rent a changing room if you are really concerned.

9. Re: Theft on the beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare