We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards Accepted

Which Monterosso al Mare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ojai, California
Level Contributor
203 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Cards Accepted

I know there are lots of ATM's in most of the villages but do most of the establishments take US type credit cards (magnetic stripe) or do they require the European type card with the pin? We are considering whether or not to get a pin type card.

Thanks for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards Accepted

A magnetic stripe card should work anywhere when the transaction is processed by a person. You may have difficulty with vending machines such as fuel pumps or ticket machines.

Most "chip" cards available in the USA are "chip-and-signature" rather than "chip-and-PIN". These cards offer little advantage over a mag stripe card.

Be aware that many smaller establishments do not take cards at all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards Accepted

These villages are very small. "Lots of ATMs" may be a bit misleading.

I note that one of my ATM cards, the fee free one I use OS, does not have a chip, even though we do have chip and pin technology here. My CCs have chip and pin.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Cards Accepted

In Monterosso, we only have one ATM in the new section of town (Fegina) so if it's not working (it is usually not working) you have a bit of a walk to the old town to withdraw money. Most places do take credit cards, though very few take American Express.

NY
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Cards Accepted

Not sure what you mean by "pin type card". Just call your card issuer and see if they can set a pin for you, they usually mail it since the person you talk to can't know it, then you can reset it by phone or on line perhaps.

But not every machine will ask for the pin

Edited: 06 September 2013, 11:35
5. Re: Credit Cards Accepted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare