We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Which Monterosso al Mare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Need opinions!:) I am surprising my husband with a trip to Italy for our 15th wedding anniversary this July (2014) . We took the in-laws and kids in 2012 but weren't able to hit Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre.

We arrive Rome and stay for a night, AC for 3 nights, Siena for 2 nights and CT for 3 nights. I have booked 2 hotels in Monterosso and also a back-up hotel booked for Vernazza. In CT, we will be hiking the trails, snorkeling at beach and also 1/2 day in Portofino to scuba dive. We don't mind walking anywhere in Italy - you discover the best things and meet lots of awesome locals. My husband is 100% italian and fluent so we can get around easily. Won't be in the room except for sleeping and for sitting on the balcony enjoying views and drinking wine...:)

I like the fact that Porto Roca is very close to the start of the trail and also that it has a pool, nice to have esp, in July. It is expensive though (335E/night) and I have read mixed reviews, majority about the outdated rooms. Currently I have a double room with sea view and not guaranteed a 3rd floor room.

La Spiaggia has recieved very nice reviews but does not have a pool. It is 60% the cost to stay versus Porto Roca, which is definitely appealing.

Other option is to scrap the Monterosso and stay in Vernazza. Much cheaper but majorioty of hotels don't have pools and I heard the beach is not as nice to swim in as Monterosso.

Looking for travelers who have spent time in both regions and stayed for a few days so I can make an accurate decision. Thank you!!!

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Vernazza does not really have any full service hotels let alone pools.. Monteroosso has a number of hotels i.e

the two you mentioned as well as Villa Adriana (with Pool) Baia (No Pool but on the beach) Suisse Bellvue, Palme etc . The beaches in Monterosso is certainly superior to Vernazza's small beach and there are a number of beach clubs with sun loungers for hire, but as for both being regions they are only a 5 minute train ride away from each other.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Spiaggia is a great choice IF you can get a room with a balcony. Baia I would completely avoid. Villa Adrianna is also quite lovely, but if you are willing to sacrifice maybe "hotel front desk" comforts, b&b Il Parco also has a pool, a view to die for, and is really gorgeous, though a little further up the mountain from the village center.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Thanks to both of you! I notoiced you are from the areas so your opinion is definitely welcome..:) Definitely agree that the B&B Parco is really nice - not sure how I missed it on my initial hunt. Fairly sure that Monterosso is where we should stay. Part of the allure with Porto Roca was the view, private beach (esp with how crowded I heard it is in summer) pool and the start of the trail. I am planning to give the present to the hubby this weekend, so maybe I'll have him choose the hotel..:) One more question, I have read a lot of complaints about the walk into town from the Porto Roca hotel. Is it really that bothersome or is it just the incline that is difficult? Gratzie Mille!

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Its a pretty serious incline, but not bothersome. The only thing I would add is that the rooms are a bit dated, especially for the price (2x as much as other places here), and it's not really a private beach in the full sense of the word- it's a section of the private beach in the old town with loungers put aside for guests, but the rest of this beach has loungers and umbrellas and a bar open to the public. So it won't be just PR guests, and will still be most likely kind of crowded at the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Thank you so much! This is great information to have. Definitely need to weigh the good with the bad for both hotels. It appears that the only real plus is the new pool at Porto Roca. Both have comparable views based on the TA reviewers. As far as Porto Roca having the trail start closeby, is this a deal breaker or can the start of the trail be reached rather easly from La Spiaggia as well?

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Probably takes about 15 minutes to walk from La Spiagga to The Porta Roca however it's swings and roundabouts really as apart from when you use the trail you will be walking on the flat or up a slight incline the rest of the time if staying at La Spiaggia whereas unless you stay in the hotel all the time you will be walking up the steep incline from the old town to Porta Roca every time you go out unless you take a taxi of course.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Just make sure at La Spiaggia you have a balcony room with a view, otherwise you will be in for quite a different experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Thank you Cudgey!

Cm28. My room confirmation states a double room with seaiew and little balcony. Also Air conditioned. Cost per night is 170EU. Is sounds correct and they stated it twice in 2 separate emails. Any idea if you can upgrade from this type of room? Are there any other questions I should ask the hotel beforehand?

Thanks!

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Hi Jela,

They have few balcony rooms that are booked months and months ahead, so I wouldn't bank on an upgrade being available. Having had some friends stay in a "partial view" room there, they had to look sideways out the window to see the sea - which was fine for them, they loved the overall experience of the hotel. I would just be prepared for this being the case if you are going to book there :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Porto Roca Hotel? La Spiaggio Hotel? Or stay in Vernazza?

Thank you for the advice - I am getting confirmation on my room that is indeed an unobstructed full sea view,,:)

Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare