We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from cinque terre (la spezia) north to lakes...

Which Riomaggiore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
travel from cinque terre (la spezia) north to lakes...

Would love suggestions about best travel from the cinque terre region north to the lakes (como, gorda, maggierre..)we'll have rented a car--is that the best way, or should we take a train? bus? We'd like to do sort of a triangle with Florence as the apex, traveling north up the coast through cinque terre, then up to como as the western point, venice as the eastern, with perhaps a stop in Verona in between. We have two weeks. Doable, do you think? We've also heard terrific things about the festival day (July 2) in Sienna. Worth a detour? Any help is MUCH appreciated!

vernazza
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from cinque terre (la spezia) north to lakes...

Hello

From La Spezia or cinqueterre by car is better if you like go to the lake of Como --Maggiore and Garda after you go down in Verona -Florence and Siena . A good trip if you planning well is possible

ciao

mino from vernazza

Lawton, OK
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from cinque terre (la spezia) north to lakes...

I just returned from visiting the CT and Lake Como. I was so glad to not have a car in either place. I took the train from LaSpezia to Milan and got a train that required no changes. At Milan it was simple to catch the regional train to Varenna on Lake como. The only thing is that you have to wait until you get to LaSpezia or Monterosso to buy your ticket as the Vernazza train station apparently only sells tickets for the CT area. Be forewarned on trying to find a parking space in the Lake area--I saw none over the long weekend I was there. Does your hotel have parking space for you? The train ride from Milan to Varenna was 55 minutes and you will see stunning views you can enjoy because you are not driving.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from cinque terre (la spezia) north to lakes...

Thanks so much for your response. The train leg of our trip is going to be from Florence to Venice. Then we've decided on the car to travel west (stopping at Verona for some opera!) then to the lakes, and then down to the Cinq Terre. From there back to Florence for a finale 3 days. It seems we should be sure to get a hotel that has parking in all places. Also, do you know about the ferry system in the Lakes? Do you need tix to go form, say Bellagio to Como? Do you need to reserve tix in advance? Where did you stay in Cinq Terre (we heard the Cinq Terre Residence is terrific in, I think Riomaggiere) and in Como? Thanks again!

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from cinque terre (la spezia) north to lakes...

This is great info. Can you please tell me how long the train from CT to Milan is? I am also looking to go from CT to Lake Como

5. Re: travel from cinque terre (la spezia) north to lakes...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Riomaggiore