We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Milan to Vernazza

Boston
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Milan to Vernazza

Our family is staying in Vernazza (Camera Elisabetta) for 3 days in July. We are arriving through Milan by train from Paris.

What is the best way to get from Milan to Vernazza? Train or rental car? The car is less expensive, but I worry about leaving it parked outside the town for two or three days.

Thanks for any advise.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,656 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Milan to Vernazza

Check train timings and the need to change trains on www.trenitalia.it. You used to be able to get a cheap group rate for parties of four or more, I do not know if this facility is still available.

Parking your car is a problem almost anywhere in Italy I am afraid. However it is very useful to get around to places not on the railway line and if you want to go inland from Vernazza it will save difficult train journeys.

FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Milan to Vernazza

I just did this, going from Vernazza to Venice. Get a train from Milan to Genoa, then Genoa to Vernazza. Trains are cheap!

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Milan to Vernazza

Just returned from a week on the CT. I cannot imagine trying to deal with a car there. The train from Milan was clean, fast and easy (no appreciable difference between 1st and 2nd class) and with the Cinque Terre card, hopping on and off the trains to go from town to town was a snap. I think tickets each way ran around $17.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
969 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Milan to Vernazza

We stayed at the Camere Elisabetta in 2004 and loved it. Be prepared for quite a hike up the stairs, but the view is worth it!

From Milan take the train to Genova (not Genevra) and from Genova (Genoa) take the trian to Vernazza. Easy train trip, but really check out your schedule as there is a direct and a milk run and you really don't want the milk run. The other thing is to know what the stops are before Vernazza as the trains are quite long and you may not always be able to read a sign from your seat. Enjoy!

seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Milan to Vernazza

For those travelers who stayed at Camera Elisabetta, do you think this place would be appropriate for a honeymoon couple in early September?

Thanks!