We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Which Vernazza hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Is this a scenic ride? From La Spezia to Sorrento I know we will have to change trains in Naples. Any other changes? Is it easy to change trains in Naples? Is it walking distance? If you have done it before did you enjoyed it or hated it?

canada
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Scenic when the train is not running in tunnels or hugging a wall.

Change at Naples is walking distance, no big deal. However we wasted an hour trusting the big board, which sent us to non-existent trains. Trust the guy in the lonely booth.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

There are only three direct trains to Naples, one a night train, one leaving very early (5.46), and the third arriving quite late (20.38). Otherwise you will have to change trains in Rome at Roma Termini station.

See http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html for times on dates before June 12 when schedules change (though probably not by much).

For current information on changing trains in Naples, see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k3477…

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Very helpful on the info for changing train in Naples.

Has anybody done this route? Is it scenic or not worth it?

Our whole itinerary so far was Bologna (3days) - Tuscany (5days) - CT (2 days) - Sorento (5days) - Rome (5days). We could change things around & do CT after Bologna. From CT got to Tuscany & then take the train from Chuisi to Sorrento. We thought the train ride down the coast would be very scenic but if that's not the case maybe we should change our plans. We're planning to rent a car only for the time we are in Tuscany & do the rest by train.

Any suggestions?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Hi

We did the train from Siena to Naples/Sorrento last year.

We changed trains in Florence to Naples and that was quite pleasant, though I didnt think it was so scenic.

Then we used the underground train to Sorrento. My advice is dont.

Use a private transfer. It was awful.

We had a pleasant trip to Naples then hauled the luggage to the ticket office, then down an escalator of 30 steep stairs that doesnt work.

My husband was targeted by a pickpocket while trying to get the luggage down. Luckily he wasnt succesful.

Then we waited 45 degrees in the station, no air, no airconditioning about 38 degrees. When the train arrived and we got in. The windows didnt open, there was no air and we thought we would pass out. It stopped at every station, most of the trip was through tunnels with no views and a nightmare.

Sorrento and particularly Positano on the Amalfi Coast is wonderful and well worth the time and effort to get there. The views and scenery are in my opinion like no where else in Italy. You can visit so many other places from there by ferry or bus like Isle of Capri, Ischia, Amalfi, Ravello etc.

Train from Naples to Sorrento we think is a definate No No especially with luggage. There is nothing good I can say about it. We never use private transfers but we will always do the trip from Naples to Sorrento or Positano (85 euros) by transfer. It is money well spent.

Any other information please ask

Janderra

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Hi again

A typo we waited 45 mins for the train

Janderra

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

>>most of the trip was through tunnels with no views and a nightmare.<<

With respect, this is nonsense. Most of the trip from Naples to Sorrento is on the surface. It is a suburban train service, so of course it stops at every station. The trains are very similar to those used in Sydney or Melbourne some 10 years ago. They are a nightmare only if you want them to be one.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Hello Nick

It seemed that way to us, perhaps I am wrong. The windows wouldnt open, and were covered with grafatti, from what we could see out the exit doors it was mainly through tunnes. As I say it was about 38 degrees in the shade, no air and the trip took about 1 hour or more I think. If fact we had been in Vernazza the week before and they said it was a heatwave and some days were 39degrees or more.

For us it was a nightmare and the worst part of our 9 weeks in Italy.

we arrived absolutely exhausted into Sorrento and would never do it again.

We have travelled all over the world including Africa and third world countries and always used train and public buses, even when they are only planks in the back of a utility.

Perhaps when you used the train last, you had windows that opened and it wasnt a heatwave, you didnt have luggage and you hadnt been travelling since 6.30am.

I am only passing on my opinion and our experience.

We had read that the train from Naples to Sorrento was a terrible experience and we thought it couldnt be that bad. So we were prepared. However, for us, as I said it was a terrible 2 hours or more from when we arrived in Naples

Certainly I could not think of any surburban train in Australia that would not have air conditioning in that heat, and if it did, where the windows didnt open for some air.

Janderra

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

I sympathise. That could happen. But it doesn't normally.

Outside of peak commuting times, the Circumvesuviana is usually a pleasant ride for most of the journey, and only gets crowded close to Naples. There are some pleasant views throughout.

But it is not a luxury experience, which is maybe what you needed after already enduring the seven hour ride from Vernazza.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

When I used it, I had arrived in Naples at 6 am off the ferry from Palermo. We left our luggage at Naples Central station, and went to the Archeological Museum. When we got exhausted by that, we made our way back to the station and got onto the Circumvesuviana.

We had our luggage with us, and the temperature was over 35. After the first few stations, all the stops were in the open, the views along the coast were pleasant, and it was roughly what I would expect from a suburban service.

I can remember, not all that long ago, when none of the suburban trains in Sydney had air conditioning.

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please comment on the train ride from CT to Sorrento

Thanks for all the different viewpoints. We will take all that in consideration when we figure how to get from Naples to Sorrento.

For now, I'm trying to resolve how to get to Naples & from where. Sydneynick or anyone else, have you done any of these routes by train, La Spezia-Naples, Chiusi-Naples, Florence-Naples and or Sienna-Naples? If so, how was it? Is one better than others?

Which would you recommend Bologna-CT-Tuscany-Sorrento-Rome or Bologna-Tuscany-CT-Sorrento-Rome? This would affect where we would pick up the car & return it. We only want to pick up the car when we arrive in Tuscany & return it before our next destination.