We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque terre

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Cinque terre

My husband and I plan to stay for 5 nites in Cinque terre. Is that too long as we are following with 6 nights in Tuscany. Which town would you suggest we stay in and should we hire a car.

Someone suggested we stay 2 of those 5 Cinque terre nites to stay in S margherita.

Any good places to stay? Our budget is between $200-$300per nite.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque terre

You could stay in Sestri Levante for the 5 nights which is halfway between Cinque Terre and SML/Portofino at a very nice hotel like the Hotel Helvetia which is within your budget.

http://www.hotelhelvetia.it/

You would have no need for a car as there are excellent train connections between all the places mentioned and the train journey is only about 20 minutes

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque terre

Five nights in CT would be wonderful if you like to hike and if you are going when the weather is good. But without both those conditions, it might be a bit long and you might prefer a larger town.

A car is worse than useless in CT as there are few places to park and no roads in the villages.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque terre

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at hotel margherite in Monterrossa. It was wonderful. I think 2 nights was perfect for us but i guess 3 nights would have been good also. The hike of the 5 villages was the most beautiful and wonderful thing I have ever done.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque terre

just back and the crowds were ballistic......my choice was to stay in Levanto and take the 4 min trip to monterosso.

still can dine in any of the towns at night and get back without fuss.

Calgary
Level Contributor
723 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque terre

Glad to hear you had a good experience in Levanto, we will be there in a few weeks for 3 nights while we explore the 5Terra. Where did you stay?

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque terre

hi ritab85. I stayed in Vernazza for 2 nights a week ago and it was crowded beyond belief. I would not stay there again. Riomaggiore was less crowded so this would be my choice if I were to stay in one of the 5 villages unless I was a beach nut and then I would stay in Monterroso. I walked all 5 villages when I started at 6:30 am and finished at noon. This the only way to do it without the crowds and the heat. To my mind, the hikes are beautiful but the towns are way to crowded to be enjoyed.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque terre

Just returned from a week in Sesti Levante and visited Cinque Terre on two of those days. Would support the view to stay in Sesti for your five days, no problem parking your car, since the railway gives you easy access not only to the CT but to places like Rapallo , St Margaretta and Portofino.

Although the CTs were quite an experience this time of year they are spoilt by the huge crowds of tourists. Probably diffferent when the last train or boat has departed for the day !

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque terre

snow cat i was staying at an Italian friends apartment so no good for you.

try this site as i have used it in the past.

http://www.occhioblu.it

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinque terre

snow cat i was staying at an Italian friends apartment so no good for you.

try this site as i have used it in the past.

http://www.occhioblu.it

10. Re: Cinque terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 00:18