We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update From Vernazza

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Update From Vernazza

The situation in Vernazza is bleak. Because it is such an isolated village the news is slow in coming. Floods have devastated the town, mud and debris arrive to at least the second floor of all buildings. Three people from Vernazza are still unaccounted for. There is no fresh water, half the town is without electricity and many are being evacuated.

I am an American woman that until recently lived in Vernazza for over 6 years and ran a bed&breakfast (Camere Giuliano) with my husband. I have since separated and moved to Lucca with my daughter but am in constant contact with the people in Vernazza. The talk amongst town is that it will take years to recover from the devastation. Some speculate that it might never recover and will be abandoned completely.

Myself and a few others from Vernazza will be looking to raise funds to help in the rebuild. I will be updating this post regularly with more information on that and will do my best to address any questions asked.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Update From Vernazza

Thank you for the update.

I visited Vernazza almost ten years ago and it was so beautiful.

My thoughts are with everyone affected. x

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,441 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update From Vernazza

People in the area of this devastation will need all the help they can get both financially and man power, I wish you well in your efforts, good to get these updates as so little news is getting out, we have very little overage in out press here in the UK,

Keep up the good work,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,037 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Update From Vernazza

Oh to think it could be abandoned is too unbearable to consider. Everyone must have been so frightened and now to face what is before them.

It must be so challenging to remove debris with such small areas to move everything through. I so hope all the help they need to clear everything is on the way.

Cm: so good to know you are ok even as you need so much yet. I hope what you need comes quickly.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Update From Vernazza

Video footage here ilsecoloxix.it/p/…

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Update From Vernazza

Corriere della Sera, Italy's leading newspaper, and TG7 have set up an account for anyone wishing to contribute. Details here:

corriere.it/cronache/11_ottobre_26/raccolta-…

Transfers can be made to IBAN IT 80 O 03069 05061 100000000567, with a note "Un aiuto subito. Alluvione Levante ligure e Lunigiana". The account is at the bank Intesa Sanpaolo, Viale Lina Cavalieri 236, Rome.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update From Vernazza

While this is great news and any help for the region is appreciated, we are looking to set up an account for donations to go directly to the town of Vernazza, the hardest hit and least publicized in the area. We are working to set that up ASAP and will post additional information as soon as it is available.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Update From Vernazza

The Ligurian newspaper from which the video footage comes has also set up an appeal.

To contribute, all you have to do is make a transfer using the IBAN number IT11 Y061 7501 4000 0000 3452 080 specifying that it is for the “alluvione Spezia”

(i.e. for the 'la Spezia floods' - the Cinque Terre are in the province of la Spezia, which has been widely affected).

The IBAN account name is the Società Edizioni e Pubblicazioni (S.E.P.) Spa, the publisher of the newspaper. Source - ilsecoloxix.it/p/la_spezia/2011/10/26/AOvewK…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update From Vernazza

I will await that. Vernazza is close to my heart.

Can you also tell what of Levanto. I hear it was bad in the lower town but have no direct news.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Update From Vernazza

Thank you so much for the update. My friend and I stayed in Vernazza last April for several nights and enjoyed our visit so much. I have seen pictures of the devastation in Monterosso and wondered how bad it was in Vernazza. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragedy.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update From Vernazza

The coastal towns of Monterosso (mostly old town), Levanto and Bonassola were also greatly affected by the floods. From what I can gather from the news, emergency crews and equipment have been able to reach those towns quicker while Vernazza has remained for the most part inaccessible. Heavy machinery is needed to dig the town out from the mud and rubble left behind and that equipement has yet to arrive in Vernazza. It will more than likely need to be brought in by way of boat or helicopter but in the mean the locals are doing their best with the little they have by way of shovels and other garden tools.