We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vernazza - Overnight Parking

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Vernazza - Overnight Parking

I am so glad to read that Vernazza is recuperating. We will be there the latter part of May 2013, and I understand there is a 24 hour parking lot about 500 yards above town for 12 Euros. Is it very large, and if not is there a better time of the day to try and find a spot to park? Then I also see in the Rick Steves 2012 guide that there is another lot which is the highest lot and is for overnight parking. Does anyone know if the shuttle serves this lot, and what might be the cost for 24 hours? Is it a very large lot?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

I would honestly recommend parking in La Spezia - I believe it will be much easier to leave it there in the secure lot under the La Spezia Centrale train station then take the short train into the villages. The roads to arrive here in the Cinque Terre are really not the most fun for people not accustomed to the narrow road, sheer drops, and windy turns up and down the mountains.

Many people do feel the need to bring their cars, regardless, and the lots can fill up very quickly, as they are not incredibly large, especially in late May, and even more so if you are coming on a weekend.

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

CM, thank you for your suggestions. Happy New Year!

We will be driving a small motorhome, but it is 2.99 m tall. Do you feel that we might have a problem driving under La Spezia Centrale with clearance space?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

Hm. I think the entrance to the garage is for standard sized cars...we have a few other DE's here active in this forum that are super familiar with Spezia so they can get you a definite yes or no.

We do have lots of motor homes parked here in Monterosso though during the season, though I'm not certain about the parking in Vernazza. I know that here motor homes are quite common.

Happy New Year to you too!

Edited: 02 January 2013, 07:21
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

While things may have changed since we were there in September, at that time there was very little parking anywhere above the town. A new very deep and very wide concrete drain is being built to try and counteract the destruction caused by mudslides. The parking lot was full of construction materials and machinery for this project. We walked about a kilometer up the road and saw no other places to leave a car.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,883 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

Parking in Monterosso's parking area would be convenient and easier, and then you could easily take the train to Vernazza. This parking area even accommodates buses.

Vagabonda

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

Thank you so much everyone, and it sounds Monterrosso has just what we need. I tried to find a rate for parking there, but it didn't have any luck. Does anyone know what it would be or have a website we can check?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,883 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

The Comune di Monterosso website has posted these rates.

www.comunemonterosso5terre.it/hh/index.php…

Parcheggi:

comunemonterosso5terre.it/sa/sa_p_testo.php…

halleyweb.com/c011019/…

halleyweb.com/c011019/…

Vagabonda

Edited: 02 January 2013, 13:23
Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

Vafabond, thank you sooooooooooo much! Have a great evening.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,883 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

Prego e grazie Charlene51!

Websites aren't always updated, and rates could increase by May, but you at least have an idea of what to expect.

Buon Anno!

Vagabonda

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vernazza - Overnight Parking

Vagabond, sorry about misspelling your name. ...too big of a hurry on my part. I have been trying to get the above websites in English, but can't. Maybe someone can let Monterosso know that it isn't crossing over to the English version.