We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

Kelowna, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

Hi. Looking for some insight into visiting Vernazza. I was looking to book a room close to the harbour as I find walking large inclines difficult. Can anyone tell me the best way to get to/from the train station with my luggage? I've read there are mini-busses to transport tourists up the hill to the train?

I know the town is steep, but I can manage those at my pace, just not hiking my luggage to/from the train station...

Any help with this greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

There is (or was, don't know whether this is still the case!) a shuttle bus, but it only runs once an hour. Take a look at www.albergobarbara.it/come_arrivare.html

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

I would not say that it is that steep an incline from the station to the harbour going down Via Roma, it is more where your accommodation is situated either side of Via Roma and how many steps you may have to climb that is the problem . I have never seen a shuttle bus from the station to the harbour as the distance is only a couple of hundred yards in fact the only vehicles I have seen in Vernazza have been the other side of the station going away from the harbour

Are you confusing Vernazza with Corniglia ?

Edited: 27 February 2014, 01:00
Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,001 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

I've never seen a shuttle bus either. There is a parco nazionale green bus, but the best way would be to contact your bnb and ask them. Some places will come and get you :)

Level Contributor
1,315 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

Yes i think qaminari confused Vernazza with Corniglia which is the only village where the station is far from the center :)

I don't think you will have other options: get off the station and walk 5 minutes to the harbour.

Just hope your accommodation is not in tge higher part of the village, which means you'll have to pull your luggage up stairs but i can't see a way you can avoid it sadly.

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,001 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Kelowna, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

Thank you all very much for your input. I contacted the bnb I was going to stay at and they believe there are no shuttles as well.

I did see a webpage about a cinque terre card and that there were green Eco busses that shuttles tourist down to and up from the villages to the car park. I know I can walk my suitcase down to the harbour, and up a few flights. I just heard it is a steep incline back up to the train station.

I was considering coming to vernazza by boat right to the harbour, but I understand they don't run if water is rough.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again so much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,554 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

I stayed in Vernazza but it was a long time- what I recall is that the walk to the station was not that steep but there are stairs that could be problematic if you have difficulty carrying your bag up the stairs.

This video: www.youtube.com/watch…

shows you (from the train station) that the walkway (the one walkway that leads to the sea) is not steep -

This photo shows stairs and crowds at the Vernazza train station:

theborrowedabode.com/wp-content/uploads/2013…

Photo came from this blog (not mine): theborrowedabode.com/2013/…

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,001 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Kelowna, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

Momcat1992,

That's exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks so much for the links. Absolutely stunning!

With that knowledge I'll start looking for a room. Any suggestions based on your stay for a night or two?

Thanks again!!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

Firstly, the train station in Vernazza is right in town, unlike the other four villages where there is a fair walk involved. There is a flight of steps down from the station, but it's fairly short. There is also a lift, but there are varying reports on whether it's working or not.

From the train station there is a gentle slope down to the harbor. Maximum 200 yards, but from memory shorter than that. I can't see this giving you any problems. But, most places to stay will have steps up to your room. The higher up you are, the better the view, but also more steps involved.

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,001 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

The eco bus is useless because the station is right in town. You can't do anything for the steps issue because they are village alleys 1 meter wide with no access to any car.

But i really think you're over evaluating the problem :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,554 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vernazza Italy - difficulty with luggage??

It's been a long time since I have stayed there and I had a great B&B - but, I wouldn't remember that if my life depended on it.

The people here on the forum who go frequently or have been recently will have suggestions for you - and, I would also suggest you scroll through the many threads in the Vernazza forum here - lots of info about places to stay.

If you think you may have trouble with your luggage on the stairs at the station, someone at the place you stay (as suggested above) may well come and meet you and help you.

I think most people before they have been really have no idea just how small these villages are - I sure didn't, even from the photographs in my guidebook which made me choose the area way back then - but, basically what you saw in that video IS the village - with some arteries, of course, of walkways/steps leading off that main walkway/"road" to houses, etc.

You don't say when you are going? I've seen this site posted a number of times as a resource for lodgings there - (check that the box for "locality" is Vernazza):

parks.it/parco.nazionale.cinque.terre/…

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,001 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy