We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise out of genoa

new york
7 posts
Save Topic
cruise out of genoa

honeymoon help -

has anyone used costa cruise line

leaving out of genoa for a med cruise?

any feedback would be appreciated

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise out of genoa

Not personally.. but Costa Cruisa is reknown to be a good company the quality standard should be high

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise out of genoa

Not personally.. but Costa Cruisa is reknown to be a good company the quality standard should be high

denver, co
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise out of genoa

We're on Costa Fortuna 2/9. Still looking for best way to get to port in Savona as well as hotel in Genoa night before. Are you guys by chance on the 2/9 cruise?

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise out of genoa

We are on your cruise too. Reading from the website we came up with these plan with 2 other couples fying out of US and arriving in Genoa from Paris (AF) and Munich (LH):

1) Take Volabus 100 from the arrival level of Genova (Genova Airport) to Ramada Hotel and Suites. Their rate is 85 Euro double per night. They claim this bus stops in front of the hotel (whether literally or across the street or few meters away we are not sure)

2) Overnight stay at the hotel day before the cruise and take the bus back to the airport to take Costa Transfer to Cruise Terminal in Savona for US25 per person. Costa won't sell us this tranfer now (too late)and suggest to buy it from the Costa Rep at the airport.

3) We can also take the train to Savona, since the hotel is very close to P. Principe Station. Euro Train is a 30 mins ride for 7.35 Euro (approx. US$9) for first class and 5.96 Euro ($7.27) for 2nd class if The regional train runs more frequently and lower fare at Euro 4.50/3.00 per person. The travel time is one hour. It was suggested to avoid rush hours to make it convenient to ride with luggages.

Ramada Hotels allows you to cancel reservation up to 6pm day of arrival. Remember Italy is 6 hours ahead. If you find a better deal please do share it with us.

Buon Viaggio!

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise out of genoa

Last post is correct.

In alternative there is a Hotel at the Airport (Sheraton) or you can try to book a hotel in Savona or in a nearby village (Celle Ligure or Albisola). Anyway Genoa airport is less than 30 min driving from Savona.

Taxi are extremely expensive in Italy so do not consider this option if you are on a budget.

Ciao

denver, co
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise out of genoa

Thanks so much, Buon. We, TOO, are booked at the Ramada because that's the only one we could find that would let us cxl up until day of arrival. My husband works for the airlines so flying standby, we always plan ahead. It depends on how the flights look if we fly from Munich to Genoa or to Milan from Munich or Frankfort. We've bot back up tickets for all three, just in case. My husband's last thought is to go ahead into Savona because he wants to make 100% sure we don't have any problems on the day of the cruise. I'll probably wind up reserving a hotel in Milan and Savona as well as the Ramada and cancelling the two we don't need.

When you work in the airline industry you kind of get used to planning for last minute changes. We just booked the cruise last week, so haven't had time to do much planning. We've been trying to reserve the tour in Alexandria and Izmir, but Costa has problems with the system. Hopefully fixed by tomorrow night. We don't usually do tours with the ship, but we are hesitant to venture off in Egypt and Turkey on our own.

Have you been on Costa before? We've done lots of cruises, but none on Costa.

John & Sharon Williams

Colorado

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise out of genoa

I haven't been in a cruise with Costa but I know many people who did. High quality standard you won't be disappointed.. fyi Costa is fully owned by the american line Carnival Cruise.

Ciao

UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise out of genoa

Hi we went on a costa cruise last easter - not round the med tho.(Caribbean). But to give you some information, the ship was lovely - really well maintained, cleaned to a high standard etc. Food was excellent - lots of Italian dishes as well as everything else. Service was good, and shows were excellent. My only complaint was that after the evening show had finished there was not much else to do. I think we had a midnight cabaret twice in two weeks. A lot of people were in bed well before midnight, except for the teenagers who hogged the disco untill about 3am!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: cruise out of genoa

Over 60 Costa cruises Needless to say we love the food, service and ambiance of the line. We have not had a bad sailing, even on the transatlantic crossings. Confirm if you are sailing out of Genoa or Savona. Costa just built the port of Savona for their sailings. The majority of the passengers will be European, everyone speaks English with a little patience. If there is a large group that is all arriving basically at the same time, or you all want safe transportation to the port pick up a travel magazine and in the back you will find Limo Services that you can book from the states You can then split the cost of the limo, and arrive at the port stress and hassle free. The italians drive just like the french, Crazy.... We always book the limo since my husband is wheelchair bound. This is much easier than a bus, or the very expensive taxis. The Trains do not always run on time.

British Columbia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cruise out of genoa

Hi,

We are also on that Cruise and were thinking of flying to Rome from Toronto and taking a train..The Munich or Paris connection to Genoa sounds even better,Hope we meet on the Ship. We are also Airline people.