We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigating Cinque Terre and Porto Fino

Level Contributor
196 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Navigating Cinque Terre and Porto Fino

I'm trying to put together an itinerary of a trip to Italy and cannot decide whether to fly to Genoa and visit Cinque Terre and Porto Fino from there or whether to fly to Pisa and visit those locations from Pisa before moving on to Florence. Do I need to visit both Cinque Terre and Portofino or are they largely the same. I don't drive so I will have to be doing this by day tours or public transport.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Trenino Pippo
Sightseeing Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Merana, Italy
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigating Cinque Terre and Porto Fino

Depending on what season you go you can travel from Genova to Portofino and Cinque Terre by boat. (www.liguriaviamare.it)

If you have the opportunity and time to do both I'd visit them both. You can do one by train and one by boat.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigating Cinque Terre and Porto Fino

Potofino and the CT villages are basically old style Italian fishing villages but that is where the similarity ends! Portofino is very much up-market place with designer shops and some very expensive hotels and resteurants. The CT are a cluster of 5 villages very close together extremely popular with tourists therefore rather spoilt but are relatively unique. Since they are quite a distance apart it is not easy to visit both from the same base using Pisa or Genoa.

I suggest to spend a three nights in Sestri Levante which is quite close to CT and a relatively short train trip to Santa Margherita Ligure from which there is an hourly ferry to Portofino.

You can get a direct train from Genoa to Sestri Levante from Pisa it would mean a change of one or two trains.

Edited: 09 September 2012, 16:56
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,939 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigating Cinque Terre and Porto Fino

For seasonal boats from Genoa to Portofino and the Cinque Terre see also http://www.golfoparadiso.it/public/index.htm

To me, the jewel of the area around the Portofino peninsula is Camogli rather than Portofino itself. If you are a walker, the seaside paths around the peninsula are much less frequented than those in the Cinque Terre.

Edited: 09 September 2012, 18:31
4. Re: Navigating Cinque Terre and Porto Fino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 10:18