We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for a day docked at Genoa

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
406 reviews
Save Topic
Options for a day docked at Genoa

Hi there!

Our July 2013 cruise will be taking us to Genoa and I am wondering what people recommend for our time there - I have two teens and older parents - I know the city is supposed to have a wonderful aquarium, but I'd rather us see something unique to the country and area - things we won't get to experience at home - would love to get into the countryside, but afraid we may not have time.

Sth Aust
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

We have 2 days there and are planning on going to Portofino for one of them. I have been told its not too far at all.

Mentioned in this post
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

Thanks for that - how will you be getting there? I can't recall how much time we have, but I think we only have from about 10am to 5pm

Turin
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

If I were you... http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1211

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,549 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

For a complete list of Genoa attractions see www.genova-turismo.it/spip.php?rubrique60

For Portofino see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187823-i723-k64…

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

OK, I have been looking at other posts and it seems Portofino may not be what we want - many complaints of it being "too touristy" and expensive - though I imagine everywhere accessible in Italy in July is going to be that way! What about the following: Genova Nervi, Bogliasco, Camogli, S.Margherita Ligure or Rapallo - which would be the easiest/fastest to get to from Genoa? My older parents may be with us and will be nervous about getting back to the ship on time. Also, we will be there on a Sunday - will everything be closed? It would be nice to have a relaxing day near the water, just wander and take in the sites...

Mentioned in this post
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Bogliasco
Bogliasco
Italian Riviera, Italy
Camogli
Camogli
Italian Riviera, Italy
Rapallo
Rapallo
Italian Riviera, Italy
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

I would suggest Santa Margherita Ligure as a very pleasant resort with frequent trains from Genoa. Camogli is a more traditional Italian fishing village but is very hilly and having been there myself I would not recommend it for your older parents.

Rapallo is another interesting place being more a working town than SML but is further from Genoa and probably has less stopping trains from Genoa than SML.

I did not visit Genoa when I was staying in the area a few years ago but some of my friends did and although having a very interesting day found it rather a hilly place to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Margherita Ligure
Santa Margherita Ligure
Italian Riviera, Italy
Camogli
Camogli
Italian Riviera, Italy
Rapallo
Rapallo
Italian Riviera, Italy
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

Thank you! It sounds like a good option - the terrain is a definite factor as is amount of time spent traveling from Genoa.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,549 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

Genova Nervi is the fastest and easiest option from your list. The train station is right on the waterfront, with the promenade immediately accessible http://www.nervi.ge.it/english/QINIZIOUK.html

Note that to visit Nervi, you do not buy train tickets from Trenitalia booking offices when taking the train. You buy AMT tickets …genova.it/tariffe/2013/viaggiatore_occasion… for €1.50 from bookstalls and tobacconists which are valid for 100 minutes on trains, buses and funiculars within Genoa, or the €4.50 Genovapass which OK for unlimited travel all day within Genoa.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

Thanks! So if we were to spend a couple hours in genova Nervi we would buy the all day pass from AMT? Is there an English version to the site?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,549 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Options for a day docked at Genoa

There is no English version to the site.

To spend a couple of hours in Nervi you only need two €1.50 tickets each, one for getting there and the other for getting back, validating each before boarding the train. Or on boarding a bus if you wished to come back by bus, for example.

But the €4.50 ticket would allow you to hop on any bus , train or funicular in Genoa for the whole day, so if you were thinking of going anywhere else in Genoa, it would be a better deal.

Get answers to your questions about Genoa